+1

Intake grate removal and upgrade

My only experience with removing an intake grate was way back when I had an '04 SPX, and the bolts broke off when I attempted to remove it because of salt corrosion.What an absolute nightmare that was.How easy does the grate come off on my ski? I would hate to take it to the dealer and have them install one if it is simple and nothing breaks.Oh what grate do you guys recommend on my bone stock ski? I guess I'll do the wedge as well.Thanks
    Last edited by gms05rxt; 12-28-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by gms05rxt View Post
    My only experience with removing an intake grate was way back when I had an '04 SPX, and the bolts broke off when I attempted to remove it because of salt corrosion.What an absolute nightmare that was.How easy does the grate come off on my ski? I would hate to take it to the dealer and have them install one if it is simple and nothing breaks.Oh what grate do you guys recommend on my bone stock ski? I guess I'll do the wedge as well.Thanks
    Spray some wd40 or other to try to penetrate the corosion and use some heat on them, like a large soldering iron or propane torch to soften the loctite, etc. Put your socket on them and turn very slowly with steady force. When they begin to move reverse the socket wrench and turn them tight then reverse and turn them further loose. They should come out.

+1
    Oh what grate do you guys recommend on my bone stock ski?
    Well, there's 3 good ones to consider. 1)The R&D Grate or; 2) The Riva Grate;
    or 3) The Worx Grate. They all have different effects on the ski and you should do a search thru the forum for threads about them. They have been discussed at length. Best speed is with the worx which is also the most expensive. The worst of the 3 will still give you at least 2 mph better top speed.

I have the Riva wedge and Riva grate and I have been happy with them. I had my stock grate bend after I trued it so had to switch, but I like the Riva. Only problem with them on the RXT is that they do fit close to flush to the ride plate. It will take some work to get it close to flush, If you are worried about that kind of thing. I Did notice better hook up and only a slight speed loss, but the wedge will help with that.

+1
    Some people have had the riva grates break at the back on the
    rxp's. Don't know if any have broken on rxt's.

Thread Information