Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heeelllp!!!!Polaris Genesis i keeps stalling

Hi Everyone, I have a 2003 Genesis i. It runs great at full speed for about 5 minutes then stalls. It starts again and runs for another minute or so and then stalls again. It is then hard to start and keeps misfiring. After a couple of minutes it starts again and tuns for another minute or so and stalls again. If i then ride i at mid speed it will run continuously for 10 or more munites then will start misfiring again and then stalls. Can anyone help!!!!!

+1
    Sounds like you may possibly be sticking the engine due to a lean running condition.
    The first thing I would do is check compression and make sure the engine is O.K.

+1
    You need to check your fuel pressure at the time it dies to make sure it's not losing pressure. Theres a thread on here somewhere that shows where to install the gauge . do a search on it

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Phil, Welcome to the Hulk!

Your photos did not post properly. Rather than trying to insert them into the post itself, use the Manage Attachments button (when replying to a post in Advanced Mode). Then you can select and upload your pictures, of any size (bigger is better for clarity). Click Preview to confirm your post and photos are good, then click Submit.

Do you have a working MFI display on your Genesis? Does it show any error messages or red warning lamp?

Have you downloaded the 2003 Polaris Service manual?

For testing, you certainly can remove the thermostat from inside the thermostat housing at the end of the water bar, and then run the machine without the thermostat inside.

Also check the water intake screen, which is located inside the jet pump nozzle. Not the steering nozzle, but the exit nozzle of the jet pump itself. Located on the right side of the nozzle taper, you can feel the mesh screen with your fingers. Or you can remove the nozzle from the jet pump, and check it that way. If the inlet screen is clogged, then the engine will be starved for cooling water, and will overheat.

While you are there, check that the plastic cooling water tube running forward from the side of the jet nozzle to the jet pump base is not cracked or broken. This is not the smaller rubber bilge suction hose(s), it is a rigid black plastic tube.

Do check the engine compression on each cylinder, and report the results here.

If you can connect a fuel pressure gauge, and report the pressure when it stops running, and won't re-start, that would be helpful. Be careful riding with a pressure gauge connected. You don't want to have fuel leaking inside the engine compartment.

Have you checked that the oil injection system is working properly?
    Has the filter in the oil line been changed recently?

When it is hard to start after a hot shutdown, does it crank over at the expected RPM, or does it crank slowly?

Hi guys, thanks for replying. With your help i really hope i can get this baby going. I`m missing the best part of summer.

See below for answers to your questions.

I'll come back when i have done all the tests.

Phil, Welcome to the Hulk!

Your photos did not post properly. Rather than trying to insert them into the post itself, use the Manage Attachments button (when replying to a post in Advanced Mode). Then you can select and upload your pictures, of any size (bigger is better for clarity). Click Preview to confirm your post and photos are good, then click Submit. The photo was just of the ski. Just to confirm which model i am referring to.

Do you have a working MFI display on your Genesis? Does it show any error messages or red warning lamp? Yes, MFI works fine. No error mesages or red warning light. My service mechanic says the ski has shown some fault codes which he checks and clears. I will try to get him part of this thread so he can explain what he has done.

Have you downloaded the 2003 Polaris Service manual? Not yet, but i will now.

For testing, you certainly can remove the thermostat from inside the thermostat housing at the end of the water bar, and then run the machine without the thermostat inside.

Also check the water intake screen, which is located inside the jet pump nozzle. Not the steering nozzle, but the exit nozzle of the jet pump itself. Located on the right side of the nozzle taper, you can feel the mesh screen with your fingers. Or you can remove the nozzle from the jet pump, and check it that way. If the inlet screen is clogged, then the engine will be starved for cooling water, and will overheat.

While you are there, check that the plastic cooling water tube running forward from the side of the jet nozzle to the jet pump base is not cracked or broken. This is not the smaller rubber bilge suction hose(s), it is a rigid black plastic tube.

Do check the engine compression on each cylinder, and report the results here.

If you can connect a fuel pressure gauge, and report the pressure when it stops running, and won't re-start, that would be helpful. Be careful riding with a pressure gauge connected. You don't want to have fuel leaking inside the engine compartment.

Have you checked that the oil injection system is working properly?
    Has the filter in the oil line been changed recently?
    Will check and test all of the aove and come back to you.
    When it is hard to start after a hot shutdown, does it crank over at the expected RPM, or does it crank slowly?Both. Sometimes it starts back up again straight away and others it cranks over slowly. Also, I can sometimes hear a knocking noise when it it cranking slowly as well. If i wait a minute it then cranks back over as normal and starts.

sounds like your mechanic friend has Digital wrench. If so go to the data Grid Screen what is the ignition timing with the unit not running? Is it negative like 2000 or more degrees timing. if so needs an EMM.

+1
    Sounds like stator issue to me .Will let you know more if /when JJW takes up my offer .I have emms etc if you need

Cheers

Bernie

So is JJW and phil simmons the same guy?

+1
    No
    I have met JJW and Phil is in Sydney (on the other side)

Cheers

Bernie

+1
    Phil
    Need to know your compression on all cylinders .It may be down on a cylinder and dragging a piston

We will start there .

Bernie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information