Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

ski almost sank about an hour ago.

Me and a buddy took out my two rxts today, and about 15 minutes in, I noticed he was just sitting on the ski. I go back and he says it is making a funny noise in the rear of the ski. He starts it, and it is the supercharger making a loud whining sound, and there was no power. He shut it off right away, and I hooked a rope off to tow him home. We did under 5 mph all the way about a half hour pull. just as we were pulling up to the dock, I hear him jump off because the ski was almost sunk. We were able to pull it up onto the floating dock, but it was FULL of water. When we started our pull, you could see there was a little water, and with the noise, I just assumed a hose came off, and I would fix it at the house. But would it continue to take on water if it was just a hose? And now that the thing was just about full with water, what has to be done to save the engine? Thanks guys.

If it was an exhaust hose, towing the ski without shutting off the hose from the pump might have added more water in the ski. Before you guys do anything, pull the plugs and crank the engine over to see if water shoots out of the head (plug holes). If it does, you will need to pull the tubing off the SC and pull the manifold to get all of the water out so that the ski will start. Search on "submerged engine" and follow all of the steps. You will need to change the oil 3 or 4 times if the engine has water in it... Ron

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Do you have water in the oil

If so... read here & do it fast http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3558

I havent checked anything yet, I was going to wait until tomorrow since it was getting dark when we finally got it on the dock.

+1
    DO what the previous guys said first, check all hose connections, clamps, find the source of water. Follow capsized instructions in owners manual, search the forum for "hydrolock" procedures.

After you find and fix the problem do 2 more things minimum. Install a Bilge Pump and Groco strainer with a water shutoff for towing. Far too many people have almost lost a $10,000-$13,000 PWC for not having a Bilge Pump -- Cheap Insurance!

Here's the thread for everything you need to accomplish this - see post # 13 and # 14 documents!
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79658

Good Luck

I just got the ski back and put about 5 hours on it.

The ski was in the shop about 5 months ago and I had them check the exhaust, put new bearings in the supercharger, and give it a tune up. Since then I have put about 5 hours on it. I dont know if that would have anything to do with it.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by newskiier View Post
    I havent checked anything yet, I was going to wait until tomorrow since it was getting dark when we finally got it on the dock.
    That's not good if you have water in your motor

All you have to do is pull the oil stick... if it's milky... you have a problem to deal with quickly

Banned User
    If nothing else pull the plugs and get the water out of the cylinders.. then tommorrow check the oil and change it ASAP 3 or 4 times until clear if milky in color.

Just to be sure I am getting this right, I should go take the plugs out now, then turn it over? I thought that turning it over could cause all kinds of problems if water was able to get into anything.

+1
    Take the spark plugs out and then crank the engine to pump water out of the cylinders (if any).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information