Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fiberglass Repair Kit Help - RXP

I need some recommendations for a fiberglass repair kit for an '04 SeaDoo RXP. I have a half inch deep gash about 24 inches long running along the middle of the hull caused by a rock in shallow water. I used an automtive repair kit as a temporary fix, and that did not hold up well at all.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by grober02 View Post
    I need some recommendations for a fiberglass repair kit for an '04 SeaDoo RXP. I have a half inch deep gash about 24 inches long running along the middle of the hull caused by a rock in shallow water. I used an automtive repair kit as a temporary fix, and that did not hold up well at all.
    Looks for something called marine tex. Also try searching on the forums. I seen quite a few topics about this already.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    i am feeling a delam situation here

+1
    I would be worried about delam after that also. Once water gets in there, it has to be done right.

Some early RXPs had gelcoat delamination problems that were sometimes caused by small nicks/holes in the gelcoat. I would not use the ski again until you get it repaired properly. One thing that you must do is to let the fiberglass dry before you patch the gelcoat. Otherwise, you will trap water in in the glass fibers. Marinetex is good, but allow the hull to dry before you patch it again. This may take as long as a month, and the only way you can really check the dryness is with a moisture meter like the marine surveyors use... Ron

+1

Thanks. I guess I'll try Marine Tex. I'm not really worried about appearance as much as durability. From what was mentioned here, I did not let the ski dry properly before my first patch attempt. Just a general question...how deep of a gash before water passes into the hull? It's fairly deep...about a half inch.

+1
    Just a general question...how deep of a gash before water passes into the hull? It's fairly deep...about a half inch.
    I would assume the fiberglass would "wick" water fairly easy. I would make sure it is under some heat lamps for atleast a week prior to "home patching" a repair.

Just me...

+1
    WEST MARINE sells some super strong cloths and resins. patched my hull last year with there materials and no probs. great instructions too.

+1
    Thanks. I guess I'll try Marine Tex. I'm not really worried about appearance as much as durability. From what was mentioned here, I did not let the ski dry properly before my first patch attempt. Just a general question...how deep of a gash before water passes into the hull? It's fairly deep...about a half inch.

got any pics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information