Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Triton LXT-L for a first time buyer?

I need to buy a new trailer for my RXP-X, and my dealer is really suggesting that I go with a Triton LXT-L because of the long tongue. I've never bought a trailer before so I was looking to get advice from everyone on here. From reading the forums, I believe I should at least get an aluminum trailer because it's lightweight and doesn't rust. I'll be using it in freshwater only.

Thanks!

Here is my opinion I would go with the shorter tongue trailer because i don't like the odds of hitting that little keel support wheel when putting the ski back on the trailer. I have two of the Elite WCII trailers and like them very much. One of the major convenience factors is to be able to drive the skis onto the trailer without having to winch them the entire way. I do not believe i would drive onto that long tongue trailer with those short bunks (shown in your pic). If i was in the market for a single place trailer for a ski your size I would go with the Elite WCI model. I believe the Elite is constructged from larger tubing than their other models it also has torsion axles. This makes the trailer extremly strong and stable on the road. If money is a factor then I would choose the LTWCI or LTWCI-T. Another design advantage I see is the cross members of these trailers are curved to allow the watercraft to have a lower center of gravity and allow for better shallow water launching.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

+1
    agree, but you can move the winch back. I'm buying a long tongue to use with a rear wheel drive tow vehicle...dont want the back wheels on a slippery wet ramp or in the water. If you have front wheel or 4 wheel drive then shorter is fine.

long tongue actually easier to back down the ramp also. Long tongue might be tougher to find room to store tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
    agree, but you can move the winch back. I'm buying a long tongue to use with a rear wheel drive tow vehicle...dont want the back wheels on a slippery wet ramp or in the water. If you have front wheel or 4 wheel drive then shorter is fine.

long tongue actually easier to back down the ramp also. Long tongue might be tougher to find room to store tho'.
    Yes a longer tongue is easier to back but I don't think it would take too long for you to be able to back the shorter trailer just as easily as the longer one. As for the part about the tires on a wet ramp there may not be a difference in the long and short trailers. If you notice the long tongue trailer has the bunk boards mounted to straight crossmembers. This means the trailer has to go further into the water before the ski will float. Which may mean your tires are in the water anyway. The trailer(s) i suggested have dropped cross members which lowers the ski and thus the trailer doesn't have to be backed as far into the water before the ski floats.
    I do have a 4 wheel drive however i have never had to use it to get up a boat ramp. If the ramp is used very often it will be wet just from people removing their boats from the water. As for spinning your wheels on the ramp just take it easy on the throttle and you should be ok. If that does not work you could try adding a couple of bags of sand (50 lbs or so each) to the back of the vehicle to aid in traction.

+1
    In freshwater only...

-a steel trailer properly maintained will last you 10 years. It may look like hell after 5 years, but it will last. Hey if you are a rich guy get the aluminum. A galvanized steel is almost as good as an aluminum, and is not usually prone to cracks, as aluminum is.
    -a trailer with a drop-style cradle will be easier to back, and you can go with a long or short tongue depending on your needs.
    -a short tongue single trailer is a motherfkr to back up, especially behind a truck. Get some flags on the back of it to help guide you.

I have, had, and will have different types. I've owned a long tongue playcraft steel trailer since 1997. I have a galvanized single short tongue drop cradle from shorlander since 2007. I have a Triton top of the line short tongue aluminum double. I have a steel powdercoated playcraft single really, really long tongue that looks identical to your picture that is over 12 years old now. They all have their plus and minus points.

If you plan on riding in salt, or brackish, go with galvanized steel or aluminum. Long or short depends on you. Dealers can't be trusted.

I had a lxt with a ultra 250x. Great trailer and rated for the weight but really too small a trailer (physically) to handle 250x. Sold my triton and got a bigger trailer. Would love to get another triton but a lxt is not big enough for a big 3 person ski. Get the triton elite....you will be much happier.

David

+1
    Depends on your tow vehicle too. If you tow with a car like me the longer tongue might help out at shallower ramps where you have to back farther in. I have the Triton LT with the cradle design, and if it weren't for the low position of the ski I would have to submerge the exhaust of my car to launch at some of the ramps I use. The LT does bouce a bit with my heavy SHO on it, but I've been told the elites with the torsion axle are better. Whichever one you get consider upgrading to stainless harware while it's new and easy to remove. Only the elites come standard with stainless.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The Triton LXT is really meant for small boats, and the straight frame cross members and short bunks are not great for PWC use. The straight cross member frame design means the hull sits high on the bunks, so the trailer must be backed farther down the ramp to float the hull.

The LTWCI or LTWCI-T are better models. They have the drop cross bar frame which makes launching easier, and the whole design just works better for PWC. The torsion suspension on the LTWCI-T makes for a nicer riding trailer, with much less suspension banging and noise over bumps and rough roads. Less moving parts too.

The Elite WCI keeps the torsion suspension, adds all SS hardware (nuts and bolts), longer bunks, and a longer frame and tongue. Very nice trailer.

More info here.

+1
    I have an LT, and would definetly get torsion axle if i could do it over....jmo

+1
    Go with the short tongue. That trailer is made for boats.
    The short Triton is a nice trailer but not needed where you are going to ride. An easy hauler would do the trick.

What dealer are you doing business with?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information