Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1

HELP!! How to turn on Yamaha 1200 xlt on...?

I just bought one and have no idea how to start it. The battery even died on me trying to do it. So, what do I need to do?

+1
    Ok... not sure if you have any PWC experience. First, I'm not sure, but doesn't the XLT have the PACLOC security system? Here is a thread about resetting it.

http://rivaforums.com/groupee/forums...514#9226087514

If that's not the problem, start at the beginning.... make sure there is gas, the fuel selector isn't turned to "off", use the choke to try to start it, then turn the choke off and try. If you have an owners manual, go through that.

Also, if you just bought it, might not be a bad idea to take it to a PWC shop and let them replace plugs, check the prop.... sorry, I don't know how much you know about working on waverunners. I didn't know anything at all when I bought mine, but got on the Riva forum (and the best guys from there started this one) and now I can take the motor apart. Where are you? Find someone from here or the Riva board near you that works on thier own ski, take him a case of beer and get him to show you how the squirrel wheel works. Good luck!

+1
    Where are you from?

Listen to Smitty...your in the best forum.

+1

Re: HELP!! How to turn on Yamaha 1200 xlt on...?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoRXT
    I just bought one and have no idea how to start it. The battery even died on me trying to do it. So, what do I need to do?
    Did you turn the fuel on??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty
    Ok... not sure if you have any PWC experience. First, I'm not sure, but doesn't the XLT have the PACLOC security system? Here is a thread about resetting it.

http://rivaforums.com/groupee/forums...514#9226087514

If that's not the problem, start at the beginning.... make sure there is gas, the fuel selector isn't turned to "off", use the choke to try to start it, then turn the choke off and try. If you have an owners manual, go through that.

Also, if you just bought it, might not be a bad idea to take it to a PWC shop and let them replace plugs, check the prop.... sorry, I don't know how much you know about working on waverunners. I didn't know anything at all when I bought mine, but got on the Riva forum (and the best guys from there started this one) and now I can take the motor apart. Where are you? Find someone from here or the Riva board near you that works on thier own ski, take him a case of beer and get him to show you how the squirrel wheel works. Good luck!

Well, Iv'e had an RXT for over a year now, but it's pretty basic, put the lanyard on and hit the start button. I did not know anything about 2-stroke engines. I know now how to start it now, I think. I put the fuel "on", pull the choke up, put the lanyard in and hit the start button. It did turn on, but it hessitates a lot. I got it idleing fine after a bit but did not want to run it without water so i took it to the lake. Started right up, but hesitating a lot. I can't accelerate it fast cuz it hesitates and dies.

Can this be the spark plugs? I can go really really slow and it will go fine, on idle it hesitates and when I accelerate it hesitates and dies.

Re: HELP!! How to turn on Yamaha 1200 xlt on...?

Quote Originally Posted by ABBOTT
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoRXT
    Did you turn the fuel on??
    i spent 30 minutes trying to start my gp as soon as got it. nothing happened. after getting very pissed and about to bring it back to the dealer i realized the fuel was in the "off" position.

+1
    Oh I forgot, after it starts I wait about 10 secs and then push teh choke back down. Is that how it is?

Anyone care to take an opinion on whether it's the spark plugs? That's the first thing that came to mind. I was also told about the fuel, it can be old or bad.

Im definately changin the spark plugs tomorrow or friday. Any tips on doing that or is it just like you would do in a car?

correct me if i have misunderstood-- you said you can get it to start, but it studders and dies when you give it gas...? if so-
    change your plugs first off--- if that dont work and you know the boat is stock, unfortunately you might have a fuel problem. More specifically- your carbs may be gummed up. maybe thats not it, but....

the oem carbs on our boats are notorius for having problems after long periods of rest without proper fuel treatment (maybe 6-7months or more?) The remaining fuel sits in the pump area and breaks down, clogging things up. Ive personally had this happen twice... forget paying a dealer to do the work!
    if this is indeed what is going on- its not too hard to get them out (more of a pain in the ass.) you might not even have to buy rebuid kits for them depending on how everything looks- the buildup will be on the pump side, just take the 4 long screws out and clean the mini filter, make sure all ports are clear, and remove any other buildup in the area and reinstall--

but if you bought it from a dealer, its deffinately thier fault! (you posted that before i replied) ... they should fix it for free if you can convince them thats wuts up

+1
    Thanks for the info!

I really hope it's the spark plugs because if its not, the dealer I bought it from, together with the Shuttle Craft, is 6 hours away! I hate road trips so I would end up paying for it myself, or doing it myself. Im sure they won't pay for it! They might just tell me that their mechanic will do it free of charge....But is the 12+ hour drive worth it?

Are the plugs easy to change? Any difference from a car? Any special tools needed?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information