Play in steering

Hey Guys, new PWC owner here, just bought a 2006 FX HO Cruiser (50 hours) and have been absorbing tons of excellent info from the forum and got my first couple of questions:

I was out yesterday in the ocean and took a very speedy trip from Palm Beach inlet to Jupiter inlet (about 12 miles) in 2-3 foot swells (lot of air time) and after the trip noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of play in my steering? Looked at the linkage and moved the nozzle back and forth while on the trailer and there did not appear to be any play in the steering?? Seems to be only noticeable under load?? Any ideas as to what the problem may be??

Also, how much pounding can these PWC take. With lots of offshore riding will I have problems with motor mounts and other items breaking. I like to take care of my stuff, so don't want to trash my ski, but I'm loving all this wake jumping!! Thanks, Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidspace View Post
    Hey Guys, new PWC owner here, just bought a 2006 FX HO Cruiser (50 hours) and have been absorbing tons of excellent info from the forum and got my first couple of questions:

I was out yesterday in the ocean and took a very speedy trip from Palm Beach inlet to Jupiter inlet (about 12 miles) in 2-3 foot swells (lot of air time) and after the trip noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of play in my steering? Looked at the linkage and moved the nozzle back and forth while on the trailer and there did not appear to be any play in the steering?? Seems to be only noticeable under load?? Any ideas as to what the problem may be??

Also, how much pounding can these PWC take. With lots of offshore riding will I have problems with motor mounts and other items breaking. I like to take care of my stuff, so don't want to trash my ski, but I'm loving all this wake jumping!! Thanks, Jerry
    I heard there is a bush in the steering columb maybe this is your problem how has your ski been ??

Hi,

I have a 2008 SHO Cruiser and noticed the same thing.
    You can easily feel it when you stand next to the machine and move one of the handlebars up and down.
    I tried to take the steering column apart, but that is pretty complicated. In the service manual you can see that there is a bushing, but it is not adjustable.
    I went to the store and felt some brand new machines, and they all seem to have some up-down play in the steering. Some worse then others.
    When Iím on the water it feels really bad.
    I donít know what to do about it, maybe someone has a tip.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steering SHO_1.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	111513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steering SHO_2.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	111514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steering SHO_3.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	111515  

I heard the VX Yamaha has a lot of problems with steering bushs also

+1
    My SHO has a little play in the steering and so does a lot of skis. My guess is the steering nozzle "wiggling" on the pivot point on the pump.

Check the trim too. Had to adjust mine and tighten.

Thread Information