Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel sender float repair ? Do It Yourself replacement fuel float

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem

you have to take the tank out to remove it right ?

wondering if there is a way to repair these looking thru parts diagrams i cant find the float which i guess can be come ruined or does mine have this replaceable float ?
    Last edited by K447; 07-11-2013 at 12:17 PM.

On my SL 750, I did not need to remove the tank. It has just enough clearance to come out. I can't speak for the other non SL models.

You can rebuilt these units, as the float will become gas logged and sink to the bottom.

You can buy a float rebuild kit for around $25 from either Watcon or a Polaris dealer. (I bought mine from atlantic power sports)

I would not buy a used one because it is only a matter of time before the used float sinks. You're better off with a new one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97sltx1050 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem

Yes, or at least remove the bolts and slide it forward. If you don't buy the one on Ebay soon I will. Good price for a spare.

I drilled a 3 inch hole in my sl near the tub so I could pull the sender straight out

yah, sorry, I forgot that I had to remove the tank bolts and tilt the tank.

You can get it out without removing the whole tank, just remove the tank bolts. It also helps if you have almost no fuel in the tank as you have to tilt it and it gets heavy.

+1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110295487400&sspagenam e=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem

wondering if there is a way to repair these looking thru parts diagrams i cant find the float which i guess can be come ruined or does mine have this replaceable float ?

All of the "tube style" senders (like your SLTX) have a replaceable float. Al has the part number.I tried to search for it and could not find it,it was posted some where on this web site.It is not listed by Polaris in there parts diagrams but Watcon sells them for about $30.Other than the float,the senders usually don't go bad.You could remove the sender and measure the resistance,while you tilt it up and down,to make sure that is all that is wrong with it.It will still read properly even though it doesn't float.you just need to move the magnet. The used sender might need a float also.

The sender in the SLT is under the cowl,you will need to remove or really reposition the fuel tank to get the sender out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Yes, or at least remove the bolts and slide it forward. If you don't buy the one on Ebay soon I will. Good price for a spare.

go for it

im gonna get it out and try repairing first im gonna make sure the wires or the unit it self inst messed up

go for it

im gonna get it out and try repairing first im gonna make sure the wires or the unit it self inst messed up
    Yeah I removed the tank on the first ski and replaced the float and now it works again.. I know some one that will be posting on Ebay a brand new fuel sending unit soon, not convinced you need more then just a float but like you said it's nice to have a backup.. When his auction goes on Ebay I will post it in the Ebay bin area.. Cya Slick

any body remember what size socket it is ?

+1
    any body remember what size socket it is ?
    13mm IIRC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information