95 Sl750 not running

I have posted on here before about a problem that i cant seem to fix. I have a 95 SL750 all stock. When i got it. She would not idle and took it to a dealership and they told me the stator needed replaced. I replaced it and still was doing the same thing. Not idling. I next rebuilt the carbs and set to factory specs. I tried playing with the carbs to get it to idle. I seem to get it to idle on the hose at around 3000 rpms. So i believe that it is good to take to the water. This fall took it and once I stick it in the water she cranks and will not start. Seems like when i get a load on the impellar she doesnt havbe enough to start. Any ideas?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsparks21 View Post
    I have posted on here before about a problem that i cant seem to fix. I have a 95 SL750 all stock. When i got it. She would not idle and took it to a dealership and they told me the stator needed replaced. I replaced it and still was doing the same thing. Not idling. I next rebuilt the carbs and set to factory specs. I tried playing with the carbs to get it to idle. I seem to get it to idle on the hose at around 3000 rpms. So i believe that it is good to take to the water. This fall took it and once I stick it in the water she cranks and will not start. Seems like when i get a load on the impellar she doesnt havbe enough to start. Any ideas?

its been a while since i've worked on polaris's but check compression in the cylinders...post the numbers you get

+1
    Idle in the water should be about 1400RPM. The ski should idle fine with the carbs at factory specs. I suggest you put them back to OEM spec and find the real reason for the problem. Randomly adjusting the high and low screws can lead to very undesirable results

1) A weak battery can cause too few RPM during start and will not generate enough voltage to charge coils and therefore not start.

2) Poor idle can be due to low compression. Check the compression on all 3 holes and report back. If you are not already aware, the 750 Fuji's had a tendency to burn a hole in the MAG piston.

3) If you have the original single outlet fuel pump, ditch that thing ASAP. The OEM pumps were the primary cause for the MAG piston holes. Search this site for instructions on rerouting the fuel plumbing for a triple outlet pump.

4) Replace all fuel lines if you have never done this. The ID of the lines can swell and restrict fuel delivery. Be sure to check any hoses inside the fuel tank.

5) Fuel autocock valves are a know problem on these skis. Search the site for directions to remedy this problem.

6) Is the air filter element excessively wet with fuel/oil? It's possible you could have bad reeds. Broken/chipped/warped reeds will cause the engine to push air/fuel mixture back out the carbs during the compression stroke. The reduced air/fuel volume will create low compression and may be another possible explanation.

If you're going to tear into it this winter, you might as well remove the carbs, re-plumb the fuel supply for a triple outlet, remove the intake, and inspect the reeds. If the reeds are questionable at all, replace them and go from there.

That's all I have for now.

KJ

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What he said ^^^^^^.

Plus try unscrewing the spark plug boots from the wires. Cut them back around 1/4" and rescrew them back on. Then zip tie them in place.

This sometimes help to get a strong spark again.

Try new spark plugs if you haven't.

Thread Information