Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Leak down test kits

My head will be back soon and i need to do a leak down test on my engine to check out the bottom end.

I have seen where you can buy some test kits cheap and some really expensive.

So to those that have the test kits for our skis, how important is the quality of the kit.

I prefer not to take to dealership for test or spend a butt load of money on kit if the cheap ones work.

Thanks

+1
    I just bought one from summit racing for $100. It has three adaptors for different spark plug sizes (includes the one for a 4tec).
    It looks to be of decent quality, but I have not used it yet.

anyone know what good/bad values are on a leakdown test?

+1
    I just priced one from harbour freight for 30 bucks and one from grainger is 100 bucks.
    I figured the snapons, matcos, ect. would be more but maybe not.

+1
    I buy some things from harbor freight and have had good luck with hoists etc. but I would not trust a leak down tester from them. stick with a good name brand. JMO

+1
    I have one from harbor freight and it worked for me. The directions that come with the kit you purchase should have acceptable values of leakdown included. I believe 10% is the normal max. accepted value to be considered "great".

this is what I bought a few weeks ago on ebay, the same setup is $75 from Summit. don't know if this seller has any more, but they had more than one then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270303153430

I just bought a Moroso from a local performance shop, same one Summit Racing sells. The larger gauge will be more accurate. The kit only came with 14 & 18mm adapters. I was able to screw a 12mm adapter from a compression gauge kit onto the Moroso adapters though. I put a T on the inlet side to mount an inlet pressure gauge and the air hose adapter. The Moroso kit does not come with the air hose adapter. Have not used the kit yet though. Hopefully this weekend.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dhoad View Post
    I just bought one from summit racing for $100. It has three adaptors for different spark plug sizes (includes the one for a 4tec).
    It looks to be of decent quality, but I have not used it yet.

anyone know what good/bad values are on a leakdown test?
    According to the Sea Doo engine manual, you're supposed to get the engine warm first (158 degrees to be exact). Following are the values:

0-15% Excellent
    16-25% Good
    26-40% Fair with some diminished performance
    41+% Find the cause and repair. Gaskets, valves, rings, etc.

Mark

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    According to the Sea Doo engine manual, you're supposed to get the engine warm first (158 degrees to be exact). Following are the values:

0-15% Excellent
    16-25% Good
    26-40% Fair with some diminished performance
    41+% Find the cause and repair. Gaskets, valves, rings, etc.

Mark

thank you sir!

I don't think that which leak down kit you use. I have a nice one I got from the mercury special tool catalog. K-line is the brand and it reads really nicely. Now when you have low compression and you want to use your leakdown tester to determine where you are losing the compression at. Hell you could just plug in straight air from your compressor to your engine. Listening to where the air is escaping from, a leakdown gauge is just a compact version of what you see on gas welding ottles. You have line pressure and the second is just the amount of pressure leaving the line to get your percentage of what is leaking. But Compression tests are better because it is testing your engines ability to build compression as your engine is moving, a leakdown is good to test where you are losing compression when your reading is low. But great to hear you all doing your own work!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information