Clues? 04 Polaris MSX150 starts fine - immediate rev to redline

I have been reading up on the forum and notice that you are pretty much a Polaris expert.

I have a few Polaris models such as a Virage and SL650 and am looking at an 04 MSX 150. Despite what some may say I have had great luck with Polaris PWC.

This one looks good but has a throttle sticking problem as it starts fine but immediately overrevs. It shuts off with the kill switch but cannot be left running.

The price is right but I want to know what I am potentially getting into or looking at.

I am thinking this may be a bad TPS due to the oil problem with a rollover.

Everything else is fine so I am told.

Any help would be appreciated. The sooner the better as I probably have until FR to make up my mind.

Thanks a ton

+1
    While checking and/or testing be sure to put it in reverse so the RPM's are limited.
    I'd check with Stroker and see if he can get away from the fryer long enough to take a shot at this one. He doesn't know much but his guesses are great for a fry cook.
    4strokepolaris (Jay) can give you the short run of tests but he may be out of town this week.
    Bernie has dealt with quite a few of the injected systems and may be able to help you as well.
    Good Luck and keep us posted!!

+1

Cool

allways start these ski in rev. I would try to get ski to water and leave on trailer,tie it down to trailer,back pump into water and let run few min. IN REVERSE this will kick in rpm limter,see if that clears up problem

later cd

Howdy chip good to see ya learned so much.

They are both correct the unit needs to be started in reverse. This model has a coolant sensor that tells the computer in it that if it is below 60 degrees celcius it is to go into a rich running condition. on the trailer there is no load on the drive line so the engine starts to rev, turbo starts to spool and the o2 sensor sees lean condition and throws more fuel. and off the rpms it goes. put it in reverse. Second out of the water only run the unit for no more than 1 minute. Other wise the exhaust manifold will become "sots" (surface of the sun) hot. Its a California term. if the ski is clean and the previous owner took care it should be an awsome ski.

My '04 MSX 150 will always 'run away'...if I blip the throttle, while running on the trailer, and on the hose!

I have learned about the reverse limiter...and NOT to use the throttle, on the trailer.

My ski operates perfectly in the water...and I have never paddled, or been towed, home (I am knocking on wood, as I type).

Superstition...or karma...sucks!

+1
    Here is some info i received from Polaris a while back. This 'Fault' had me stumped until i found out i could do nothing to change it. I have never seen the team tip that is refered to.

Cheers

MSX 110 150 fficeffice" />>>
    This document is a trouble shooting list base on where the PWC limits.>>
    >>
    Max RPM of>>
    1550 ± 50 ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Normallace> idle in water. Out of water the unit can rev to peak rpm on its own. >>
    Solution

If running out of water, place the gear select lever in Reverse. This will keep the RPM down to 3400 RPM. There is a team tip on this. W-04-04-02>>
    Note:>>
    High revving out of water is lace w:st="on">NORMALlace> and is caused by:>>
    1)No load on engine>>
    2)The turbo creating boost pressure at idle>>
    3)The computer operating in cold start enrichment mode>>
    4)The computer working out of memory (the system remembers what it had to do the last time it started) >>
    5)Air leak under the ETB>>
    > >
    Max RPM of>>
    1700Limp Home Mode. Caused by a failure in the:>>
    1)ECU Electric Control Unit >>
    > >
    > >

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    Here is some info i received from Polaris a while back. This 'Fault' had me stumped until i found out i could do nothing to change it. I have never seen the team tip that is refered to.

Cheers

MSX 110 150 fficeffice" />>>
    This document is a trouble shooting list base on where the PWC limits.>>
    >>
    Max RPM of>>
    1550 ± 50 ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Normallace> idle in water. Out of water the unit can rev to peak rpm on its own. >>
    Solution

If running out of water, place the gear select lever in Reverse. This will keep the RPM down to 3400 RPM. There is a team tip on this. W-04-04-02>>
    Note:>>
    High revving out of water is lace w:st="on">NORMALlace> and is caused by:>>
    1)No load on engine>>
    2)The turbo creating boost pressure at idle>>
    3)The computer operating in cold start enrichment mode>>
    4)The computer working out of memory (the system remembers what it had to do the last time it started) >>
    5)Air leak under the ETB>>
    > >
    Max RPM of>>
    1700Limp Home Mode. Caused by a failure in the:>>
    1)ECU Electric Control Unit >>
    > >
    > >
    That 'nails' it, Kosh!

Like we tried to tell the original poster...this is a 'quirk', for all the MSX 150s.

I think that I know why the original question was posted. At the exact same time, there was a VERY low hour MSX 150 being sold on eBay...with this 'issue' listed as why the ski was being sold. I saw this...and realized that someone was about to get one 'heck' of a deal! I was right...this MSX sold for around $1,500.

I toyed with the idea that this would be a great second ski...but the 'bride' just didn't see it my way. My loss....

Thanks for all the advice. I did reset the ECU by unplugging the main relay and then it ran better. Noted on the "quirk" of the MSX.

Looks like some other things need work now. It does run and I will get it out on the water soon to see how well it does.

Thread Information