Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery Sealed or Vented

Ok I have two skies a 97 SLTX 1050 and 98 SLXH 1050 (whats the difference). And I would like to know if the Walmart battery that is sealed works well? They have a regular vented battery that only has a 6 month free replacement and 1 year prorated, but for like 20 bucks more they sell a sealed one that I am hoping has a longer replacement warranty.

Does anybody know?

Buying batteries over the web is such a pain when you have to return them for warrenties because they are full of acid and not drained, etc.....

Let me know.

Jared

i run odessy sealed AGM batteries and hate vented acid types ,, I ruined 2 many shirts I have 4 skis and some batteries are 2 years old no issues what brand is the wallyworld

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbrg View Post
    Ok I have two skies a 97 SLTX 1050 and 98 SLXH 1050 (whats the difference). And I would like to know if the Walmart battery that is sealed works well? They have a regular vented battery that only has a 6 month free replacement and 1 year prorated, but for like 20 bucks more they sell a sealed one that I am hoping has a longer replacement warranty.

Does anybody know?

Buying batteries over the web is such a pain when you have to return them for warrenties because they are full of acid and not drained, etc.....

Let me know.

Jared

the ones that are at walmart are junk, I paid around $70 for the maintaince free one and didn't even last one season...if you're looking for a quality battery interstate batteries are great havent had a problem with one yet..i have them in all my cars my motorcycle and this spring im going to purchase one for the ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    i run odessy sealed AGM batteries and hate vented acid types ,, I ruined 2 many shirts I have 4 skis and some batteries are 2 years old no issues what brand is the wallyworld
    I believe it's everstart.

odessy is a good quality baterry too...along with deka brand batteries

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbrg View Post
    Ok I have two skies a 97 SLTX 1050 and 98 SLXH 1050 (whats the difference)?

...I would like to know if the Walmart battery that is sealed works well? They have a regular vented battery that only has a 6 month free replacement and 1 year prorated, but for like 20 bucks more they sell a sealed one that I am hoping has a longer replacement warranty...
    Welcome to the Hulk!

My understanding is that the SLTX is a three seat model, while the SLXH is a two seater ('98 Slxh Had The Extended Jet Pump And Ride Plate Stock Along With A 4 degree pump Wedge, 2 piece seat).

Just as important as sealed (factory sealed, I would hope), is whether the battery is an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) type. AGM batteries are much tougher, since there is a fine mesh fiberglass mat between the lead plates. This prevents the plates from warping or shorting internally, and makes the entire battery very resistant to vibration.

The best battery is a factory sealed AGM battery. There is no way for the acid to leak out, and the AGM type means it is tough, and puts out plenty of power.

I am not familiar with the Walmart product, but I use and like the East-Penn Deka brand AGM battery (ETX16LM). Also sold by West Marine under their SeaVolt brand.

I have posted previously on these batteries - just search for Deka under K447.

The only downside (and I don't think of it as a downside), is that if you want to re-charge the battery, you must use a battery charger that is AGM compatible. AGM batteries have a slightly different charging voltage specification. Most good quality battery chargers and battery maintainers can handle AGM batteries.

+1
    i agree
    i have bought regular sealed pwc batteries and they last me for about 3 years
    i charge them before i store them in the winter and set them on a block of wood
    cement drains the batteries
    sharge them for the new season clean the battery wires and terminals and i never have any problems

+1
    by the way welcome to the forum
    since u joined not too long ago but have one post

Definitely get a AGM...you will thank yourself, for your good wisdom!

Sears has a really nice AGM Diehard...and service couldn't be any easier. My Sears Diehard has been rock solid...!

Thanks for all your posts with the batteries. I need to get the skies running well before I get new batteries, but I will get the AGM. I have a couple to tricker chargers, lawnmowers, motorcycle, boats etc.... I need to check their websites to see if they can charge the AGM batteries. The chargers are the ones you get at Walmart they charge 6 or 12 volt and are around $25 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk!

My understanding is that the SLTX is a three seat model, while the SLXH is a two seater ('98 Slxh Had The Extended Jet Pump And Ride Plate Stock Along With A 4 degree pump Wedge, 2 piece seat).
    What does the extended jet pump do, does it stick out more in the water to suck up more water? or is it more reset into the haul to prevent sucking up the weeds. Also what is the ride plate do, does the direct the water into the jet? What does the 4 degrees pump wedge mean? Is that the pitch of the angle of water coming off the pump or this that the pitch of the jet or when you say pump is that the same thing? Sorry for my ignorance I have not torn apart my ski yet to I cannot visualize what you mean.

Would the SLXH be a more of a sport of the SLTX? Can I interchange parts between these skies?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information