Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    fast96HX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    124
    +1
    2

    Wind Turbine Technician?

    Hi, I'm thinking about trying out for a wind turbine technician position. Are any members here wind techs? I just graduated from a Technical University with a degree in mechanical engineering and concentration in alternative energy. I would eventually like to be a Wind Analyst or Performance Analyst for wind turbines but lack experience at the moment. If you are a wind tech, how do you like it? What company are you working for? Location? What kind of things do you do on them besides change gearbox oil and general inspections? Is the pay reasonable? Just trying to get some general info as to whether I should try out or keep on looking for engineering jobs. Being a mechanical engineer for a boat company would be awesome too but I don't know of any.

    Rob


  2. #2
    800AMSOIL4U's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Posts
    5,024
    +1
    132
    I am not, but there are a bunch Wind Turbines here in Northern Ca and Sothern Ca.

  3. #3
    RitzBlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ritzville/Pullman, Wa
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    I am not, but there are a bunch Wind Turbines here in Northern Ca and Sothern Ca.
    Same here on the east side of the mts in Wa.

  4. #4
    Chrisrokc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,667
    Here at a few of the technical colleges they are offering degrees in windmill engineer or tech work. I am not sure what it entails, but here in Oklahoma we have a TON of wind mills.

  5. #5
    gorilla03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    stevens point wi
    Posts
    3,774
    +1
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    Here at a few of the technical colleges they are offering degrees in windmill engineer or tech work. I am not sure what it entails, but here in Oklahoma we have a TON of wind mills.
    same here in wi...they have a campus here set aside for renewable energy degrees!

  6. #6
    The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Odessa, TX
    Posts
    5,364
    Quote Originally Posted by fast96HX View Post
    Hi, I'm thinking about trying out for a wind turbine technician position. Are any members here wind techs? I just graduated from a Technical University with a degree in mechanical engineering and concentration in alternative energy. I would eventually like to be a Wind Analyst or Performance Analyst for wind turbines but lack experience at the moment. If you are a wind tech, how do you like it? What company are you working for? Location? What kind of things do you do on them besides change gearbox oil and general inspections? Is the pay reasonable? Just trying to get some general info as to whether I should try out or keep on looking for engineering jobs. Being a mechanical engineer for a boat company would be awesome too but I don't know of any.

    Rob
    Got a fear of heights or are bothered by long ladder climbs? If not you should be ok.

  7. #7
    Chrisrokc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,667
    ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n1432248257_76693_1738.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	111663  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. GPR wind screen
    By L Carlson in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 10:09 PM
  2. Winding Bayous
    By Coonass in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 07:57 PM
  3. looking for carbonfiber wind screen
    By gprmike in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 02:25 AM
  4. Congrats to BDNJ and Wind Mill Hot Dogs
    By Dr Len in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-05-2006, 11:57 AM
  5. 280 mph RC turbine JET fighter
    By RX951 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •