Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

BMW owners input please

My g/f just bought a 2006 BMW 325Xi, red, 4 dr, automatic, AWD, 39,000 miles, is a BMW Certified Pre-Owned car. Nice car, but its her/our first BMW and I had a few questions. It still has the original brakes, and original run-flat tires, only been in for oil changes basically, obviously been babied by the single previous owner and serviced 100% on time at the local BMW dealer.

Since it is CPO, it has 3 yr/50k warranty for 10k more miles and 4 more months, all maintenance included. After that it automatically flips to 6yr, 100k warranty on major mechanical/electrical, etc, but no maintenance included of course. She was offered an extension of maintenance to the 6 yr 100k for $1550, supposedly regular price is $2350, covers ALL scheduled maintenance, brakes, oil changes, scope/engine checks, fluid changes, etc. We were unsure whether to take this so we have 3 weeks to decide if it is a good deal at that price.

Questions:
    Any input on this particular model & year?
    Any input on run-flats? Stay with stock tires when it needs tires, or buy other/better run-flats, or?
    Should we take the scheduled maintenance extension to 100k mile for $1550? Basically covers all scheduled maintenance for 3 yrs/50k miles. Since BMWs maintenance triggers electronically and the dealer MUST do the maintenance to preserve the cars CPO status, I am leaning towards it, even tho it is radically different for me since I normally do my own brake jobs and maintenance (for a HELLuva lot less money) ... but its a BMW and the dealer maintenance costs are high (brakes $630 front, $630 rear for example).

Any BMW owners have input, advice, good websites, or?? It is just the 3.0 inline six 215hp and I will not do any mods to it, just curious about the above questions mostly.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    My g/f just bought a 2006 BMW 325Xi, red, 4 dr, automatic, AWD, 39,000 miles, is a BMW Certified Pre-Owned car. Nice car, but its her/our first BMW and I had a few questions. It still has the original brakes, and original run-flat tires, only been in for oil changes basically, obviously been babied by the single previous owner and serviced 100% on time at the local BMW dealer.

Since it is CPO, it has 3 yr/50k warranty for 10k more miles and 4 more months, all maintenance included. After that it automatically flips to 6yr, 100k warranty on major mechanical/electrical, etc, but no maintenance included of course. She was offered an extension of maintenance to the 6 yr 100k for $1550, supposedly regular price is $2350, covers ALL scheduled maintenance, brakes, oil changes, scope/engine checks, fluid changes, etc. We were unsure whether to take this so we have 3 weeks to decide if it is a good deal at that price.

Questions:
    Any input on this particular model & year? Great Year and Great Car
    Any input on run-flats? Very Expensive tires, BMW doesn't even include a spare tire because of the run flats..I personally upgraded to 22"s on my 645 and the tires are cheaper for my wheels Vs. my stockers Stay with stock tires when it needs tires, or buy other/better run-flats Depends on how much cash you want to pay for a tire $200-250.00 a tire Vs. 100.00 and you keep a spare in the trunk, or?
    Should we take the scheduled maintenance extension to 100k mile for $1550? Vern, take what you think might be the repair cost and multiply by 4 and you'll be close to work cost on anything on a BMW. Point is; Buy the warantee. Basically covers all scheduled maintenance for 3 yrs/50k miles. Since BMWs maintenance triggers electronically and the dealer MUST do the maintenance to preserve the cars CPO status, I am leaning towards it, even tho it is radically different for me since I normally do my own brake jobs and maintenance Very different on a BMW!! (for a HELLuva lot less money) ... but its a BMW and the dealer maintenance costs are high (brakes $630 front, $630 rear for example).

Any BMW owners have input, advice, good websites, or?? It is just the 3.0 inline six 215hp and I will not do any mods to it, just curious about the above questions mostly.
    I've gotten some good feed back from acouple BMW forums, I don't remember the names but i'll find out

Alex

+1

Thumbs up Is KY included?

Alex, thanks, great response, I appreciate the honest input! We started to realize that part of being a BMW owner involves grabbing our ankles every time a maintenance reminder lights up in the car ... they really should include a tube of KY jelly to ease the transition for new BMW owners. Somebody at the dealership should pull customers aside, ask if this is their first BMW and say, 'Hey, welcome to the club. Here, take this KY ... yer gonna need it, trust me!'

I was leaning towards the maintenance extension already, but thanks for the confirmation.

I would take the warranty. Even a minor repair in that car costs $700. Unless youre handy.. and those cars arent easy to work on, you really dont want to be dependent on the dealer to fix that car and be at their mercy.

Ive owned several German cars. I had a BMW, a Mercedes, and an Audi. The Mrs. had a beetle also for a short period of time (until I got tired of fixing it) and they arent cheap to fix. I tried working on them myself and I felt like I was in Germany when I popped the hood. Nothing was where it should be, you need special tools, etc. Its no fun.

+1
    Ouch, I hear you ... I always repair my own domestic iron, but never touched a German car. It sounds like that maintenance contract might actually be a bargain ... the other kicker in favor is that the warranty and maintenance extension 'travel with the car' if she ever sells it. So it helps with resale too.

owned a 94 540 and now own a 97 528, going for something newer in the next 2 years, sometimes they can get pricey when it comes to repairs, a warranty might be something to look at if you plan on keeping it for a while, LOTS of good forums for BMW and a helpful website for parts and accessories as well as tips and tricks you can check:

http://www.bavauto.com/

enjoy your ultimate driving machine, they are a lot of fun !

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Ouch, I hear you ... I always repair my own domestic iron, but never touched a German car. It sounds like that maintenance contract might actually be a bargain ... the other kicker in favor is that the warranty and maintenance extension 'travel with the car' if she ever sells it. So it helps with resale too.

you cant compare it to an american car. That warranty could pay for itself with one trip to the shop.

I worked for a saturn dealership when I was in college we had one come in from the auction that we were going to retail used.
    We sent it to the dealership to do a full brake job. Usually one dealership will do work for another and warranty it because one hand washes the other.
    Anway BMW wouldnt give us any kind of hook up on it and wanted like $700 to do a brake job (pads and rotors). We pulled the car out immediately and did it in our own shop. That gives you somewhat of an idea.

It could be worse I guess,

My buddy has a porsche carrera.. I think its an 04... not sure. Anyway, his clutch went and it cost him $3,000.

+1
    I have the run flats on my Z4, the ride is pretty stiff and bumpy on poor roads.
    On the other hand, they are nice because if you have a blow out at night or something you don't have to stop. BMW dealers will only mount the run flats, no other tires are approved for the vehicle. Warranty is a must for these cars, I would say get it, but I plan on selling mine before the warranty runs out anyway. The original warranty is pretty good because they give you 4 years and all factory-required maintenance.

+1
    Thanks for all the input. The ride is great, they really are a very tight handling car. One thing I wish I could change tho is the throttle response ... it must be drive by wire since the car's reaction is not direct to throttle input, it feels like there is a slight lag or softening of the reaction from the car when you stomp on it. Part of the problem might be that I am comparing it to my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP which is supercharged and has pulley, exhaust, & intake mods and a custom computer tune. The custom computer tune REALLY tightened up response - it also firmed up the shifts very nicely. When I even touch the gas, the reaction is instant and direct. I love Cheri's BMW too, but I wish it had the same direct response feel between the throttle and the engine.

+1
    Mine has something called "sport mode" and the throttle response is incredible...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information