+1

Help installing PPG pump inserts

Any one have any info on installing the Hot Products 54-7900 replacement hull inserts that have been used to fix the old brass inserts. I bought them from PPG, but they have no instructions and the inserts are about 1/8" longer than the actual hole. So before I drill the hole a little deaper I wanted to check with people on the site since they are curently closed. I will do a how to on this once I figure everything out to help others with a cheap solutiion to the other brass inserts being pulled out.
    • Replacements for damaged or missing hull inserts that hold ride plates and intake grates.
    • 7/16 outside thread pitch, 6mm inside thread pitch
    • Includes epoxy, 4 inserts and insertion device

+1
    We put them in then grinded them flush.
    You will want to put the R&D girdle kit on for more support. You can use stock grate but will have to drill a couple of holes in it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpstan View Post
    We put them in then grinded them flush.
    You will want to put the R&D girdle kit on for more support. You can use stock grate but will have to drill a couple of holes in it.
    Stan, he has a RXT, are you sure the girdle will fit? IF so let us know how your moding it to fit.

Thanks

Based on what you show in the kit, it looks to me like you lock the bolt/nut (with two wrenches) onto one of the inserts, apply some epoxy and use a wrench to screw the insert into the pump shoe. Then unlock the bolt/nut and remove the bolt. If you drill the hole a little deeper you will get a little more plastic to support the grate... Ron

+1
    Well, I have decided not to use the inserts because when I went to tap the rideplate hole because it was stipped out from the grate being ripped out I quickly found that the tab was boken. So...... Now I have to replace the rideplate so I figured if I have to do that and have most if it apart then I will replace the pump shoe too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05638.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	608.0 KB 
ID:	111801  

If you drill the holes a little deeper, you'll go thru the shoe plastic completely from what I can tell. My front two inserts (the back of the intake grate mounting positions) are gone, pulled out when the front bolt (at the front of the intake grate) vibrated loose and fell out... the OEM grate actualy broke at the rear mount, leaving the center bolt and part of the grate behind (pretty stong bolt that center one is!).

Anyways, I put a new OEM grate in last Fall and rode it with just 1 front bolt and 1 rear bolt in the intake grate for just an hour or so total, no real problems that... now I'm looking to put an Aquavein intake grate in, and I'd really like to fix those 2 holes where the inserts had been. I truely believe most of the holding power is in that center bolt that threads into the ride plate metal... but it'd be nice to have the other 2 holes functioning again and adding to the total holding force.

Does anybody know who might be selling this insert repair kit now?

Thanks!

I found the kit myself, and installed these inserts. They did have to be cut flush with a dremel and cut-off wheel once the epoxy had cured for 24 hrs. Not a problem.

One thing I realized while doing this little repair though, is that these 2 bolts that thread thru the intake grate and into the inserts in the plastic pump shoe are NOT there to support the intake grate, but more likely to help hold the shoe. That shoe is molded plastic and hollow on top of that, it's not a support structure itself... from an engineering standpoint I'm pretty certain that the 2 outside grate bolts at the back of the grate support the shoe, not the other way around. The only structurally solid bolt holes are the front and rear center bolts, they're what hold the intake grate in place.

I suspect most lost grates are caused by the 2 main structural bolts coming loose and falling out, or at least the front bolt falling out. The previous owner of my RXT lost the OEM grate when the front bolt came loose and fell out, and then water pressure pulled the grate down and snapped it off (leaving only the center rear bolt and part of the grate behind... luckily it didn't break the ride-plate tab that the rear grate bolt threads thru!). He didn't even know it was gone, until it started to sink at anchor (the front bolt goes all the way into the inside of the hull, the silicon plug that's supposed to be on top of the hole had come loose so there was a hole all the way thru for water to flow in).

So if your front grate bolt's threads are intact and you lost your intake grate, then that bolt fell out and that's what lead to the loss of the grate! I can't see any other way you could lose an intake grate short of hitting it with a rock or stump ripping it out (and that you'd feel instantly!).

Regards!

- Michael
    Last edited by Michael211; 06-25-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typo!

Thread Information