canadian iceman
    +1

help with pump problem

i have a 05 rxp and upon removing pump for some winter wrenching noticed the wear ring spins with the prop in the housing?? I have never seen this!! I can hold the pump and impeller and spin the wear ring!! as well if i let go of the ring and spin the prop the ring spins with the prop??? is this normal??? Also... i am installing a steel wear ring on my rxp-x and want to know if anybody has seen gains this way??...thanks for the info

+1
    NOpe, its not suppose to spin. Maybe your cold weather did it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IM2FAST4U View Post
    i have a 05 rxp and upon removing pump for some winter wrenching noticed the wear ring spins with the prop in the housing?? I have never seen this!! I can hold the pump and impeller and spin the wear ring!! as well if i let go of the ring and spin the prop the ring spins with the prop??? is this normal??? Also... i am installing a steel wear ring on my rxp-x and want to know if anybody has seen gains this way??...thanks for the info
    I see you are in Canada. When it gets cold this can happen. I know it's cold up there right now

Once you install the pump the wear ring will no longer spin because it's tightened up against the pump shoe.

canadian iceman
    +1
    thanks skip...the ring still spins when the pump is installed. What happened initially is I went out to my HEATED garage and started all my boats (piece of mind) and when i pulled the key i heard the ring still spin...maybe for like a couple seconds?? that is when i pulled the pump...do you think the steel ring i orderd will be better?? thanks for the info

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    If your ring is spinning when the pump is installed... your ring is most likely shot! Drop in a new one with a little flange sealant on it and you should be good to go

Smile

The older style 2002 pumps had 2 set screws however yours if it is spinning,perhaps you missed installing the neoprene seal in front of pump or something is not installed correctly as the pump when tightened up against the hull should keep wear ring from spinning.Just an idea,perhaps you mised something or the rubber bumper(drive shaft plug) is not in right and pump isnt tightning up against hull as it should.>Marvin

canadian iceman
    +1
    the pump has never been removed(you can tell by the bolts) and the rubber seal is in place correctly. THere is no set screws at all ...the wear ring is in good shape....I guess i will just try installing a new one and see what happens....thanks

The new wear rings are supposed to fit tighter - you may need a 2x4 and 3 lb hammer to drive it in, if you don't have a press. My '03 GTX SC had 4 screws securing the wear ring - 2 on each side of the pump, while the '04s and later don't use the screws.... Ron

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    The older style 2002 pumps had 2 set screws however yours if it is spinning,perhaps you missed installing the neoprene seal in front of pump or something is not installed correctly as the pump when tightened up against the hull should keep wear ring from spinning.Just an idea,perhaps you mised something or the rubber bumper(drive shaft plug) is not in right and pump isnt tightning up against hull as it should.>Marvin
    There are no screws securing the ring or neoprene seals on these pumps.

canadian iceman
    +1
    i am installing a new one and will put some glueish grip goup on it for the install...anybody know what is best to hold the ring??

Thread Information