Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Yamaha FX HO or similar What problems have you had?

    Hey guys how has the corrosion been with them??? Any problems??? With either the HO or the Super charged or the FX 140 models any info greatly apppreciated.


  2. #2
    Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    4,157
    +1
    598

    Wink

    The only thing I ever had to replace on my 05/ fx160 cruiser was the ECU!

    Failed at 150ish hrs ,

    When I started looking around Australia for a 2nd hand unit , I found heaps of wrecker/breakers that had already sold there ECU's from the skiis they had in stock, general comment was it was one of the only things to fail,and good luck trying to find a 2nd hand unit, not that I have heard of others fail , but never the less if 2nd hand ECU's are hard to find there must be a reason!!!!!

    other wise 100% bullet proof

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    The only thing I ever had to replace on my 05/ fx160 cruiser was the ECU!

    Failed at 150ish hrs ,

    When I started looking around Australia for a 2nd hand unit , I found heaps of wrecker/breakers that had already sold there ECU's from the skiis they had in stock, general comment was it was one of the only things to fail,and good luck trying to find a 2nd hand unit, not that I have heard of others fail , but never the less if 2nd hand ECU's are hard to find there must be a reason!!!!!

    other wise 100% bullet proof
    How much are the ECU worth?

  4. #4
    volltrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jersey CI
    Posts
    616
    +1
    36
    As far as I am aware the ECU is not a common problem, have not heard too many people mention this on the PWC sites either!
    Corrosion is not a problem as long as motor is regularly protected with water repellent. This includes spraying the valve cover with the air filter removed on the FX & FXHO upto 2008. Same applies to the SHO & 2009 HO.......remove engine cover & protect with water repellent ( CRC, Fluid film etc ).
    The most common problem on the MR1 motor is oil overfill, & fowled plugs.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC/VA line
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    As far as I am aware the ECU is not a common problem, have not heard too many people mention this on the PWC sites either!
    Corrosion is not a problem as long as motor is regularly protected with water repellent. This includes spraying the valve cover with the air filter removed on the FX & FXHO upto 2008. Same applies to the SHO & 2009 HO.......remove engine cover & protect with water repellent ( CRC, Fluid film etc ).
    The most common problem on the MR1 motor is oil overfill, & fowled plugs.
    2008 FX HO owner here with 47 hours. I have a strong fuel smell whenever i open a compartment. Gonna get it checked out soon. Service guy also said fouled plugs are the first thing they check when a waverunner comes in for service.
    Other than fuel smell and a fouled plug, it ran great all summer. 63mph top speed off the dash (no gps)

  6. #6
    BarBayBULL BAR BAY H.O.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Barnegat Bay
    Posts
    1,341
    These Yamaha 4 strokes are bullet proof. All I do is salt water.
    300+ hours and my engine bay looks like new.

  7. #7
    volltrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jersey CI
    Posts
    616
    +1
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I have a strong fuel smell whenever i open a compartment. Gonna get it checked out soon.
    This is quite common on the FX/FXHO, although not a problem as such, it can be quite concerning. If possible always leave seat off or propped up when not using ski..... if this is not possible then always remove seat directly before starting motor so any fumes can vent.

  8. #8
    ultraman250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    236
    +1
    1
    I used to have an 04. Only problem was the great gas mileage it got.

    Seriously, do not overfill with oil as it can get into the air filter. The oil filter should be lubricated also as it tends to rust and may develop holes especially true with salt water use..

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunset Beach, NC; Tigertown, SC
    Posts
    9
    These Yamaha 4 strokes are bullet proof. All I do is salt water.
    300+ hours and my engine bay looks like new.
    +1

    300 hrs on my '06 in 100% salt. I recently had a mechanic friend tell me it was the best looking engine he's ever seen with that many hours, fresh or salt. Indestructible skis if you take care of them.

  10. #10
    andygpr748's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    383
    Any reports as to what kind of HP the 09 FXHO is making?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Towing a Yamaha FX HO or any other PWC in the water
    By Stever in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-14-2014, 01:13 PM
  2. What should I expect out of a 2008 yamaha fx ho
    By yamacruiser in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2013, 12:13 AM
  3. What problems have you had with your RXP-X?
    By Jarrett in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 07:13 AM
  4. Sea Doo GTI Four Stroke What problems have you had?
    By nowornever in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 10:52 AM
  5. What Computer Problems Have You Had?
    By MaxMike in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 06:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •