Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

is using a break in oil necessary?

i just got my 951 rebuilt from top to bottom with a new crank, i was told that you just need to put 10 hours of break in time with regular synthetic oil. I also heard that using dumonde break in oil can cause a seizure? whats the best thing to do?

+1
    Dumonde is the baddest stuff for break in you can get I have used it lots of times, it works.

You do not use synthetic to break in an engine the rings wont seat correctly.

Do just as the directions on the Dumonde bottle says and change to synthetic after break in.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The Dumonde Tech will NEVER cause a seizure. I've used on over 6 different top ends, it works perfectly if your cylinders are clearanced correctly.

That said, it is the best oil to break in a top end, bearings, etc.

If you use the synthetic, it's excellent lubricating properties prevent the chrome-moly rings from seating for about 9 hours of run time. And when they do seat, they do not seal as good if the Dumonde Tech was used.

I've done back-to-back builds on identical cylinders (seized one) and have gotten 5 more cranking PSI using the Dumonde Tech opposed to not using it.

So, it's not required. But if you want the best performance and the easiest way to break one in, why not spend the extra $10-$15 for it.

+1
    Run whatever oil you are going to use in the ski and you will be fine.

WOW, now there are some different opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Piranha Performance View Post
    WOW, now there are some different opinions.
    The Amsoil dude only knows how to sell oil...that's why...

alright guys, i think i got my answer , i got 3 pints of the stuff, according to the directions i have enough for 9 gallons, should be enough for 2 hours?

Can i leave my oil pump connected and mix it in the tanks as long as no oil is left in the oil tank? it says use 5oz a gallon and the oil pump is only 30:1 right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Run whatever oil you are going to use in the ski and you will be fine.
    yup, thats what I do. and have done.

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    yup, thats what I do. and have done.
    And both of you will continue to lose HP you could have capitalized on.

I was skeptical also, before I tried it. As were a few of my previous buddies.
    But having a negative opinion without ever trying it is typical and close-minded. You either choose to try it, or stay comfortable in your own rut...

+1
    well, I don't think my reply was negative. If so, please advise. sO.....to explain myself better, I never had used th eproduct, so I do not say anything against it and I did not expel a comparison.

for my personal experience, I've got pics and documention of a 66V motor I broke in using amsoil interceptor. I'm not throwing out any marketing pitch, but my point it, with proper break in, and the compression #'s Ive held and not lost over 100 hours including great pistonwash, I would be safe to say I did not lose any power. I know a few two stroke Yamaha tuners that have 200 hours on the their GPR and I've heard some even go thru the work of a teardown after 5-10 hours to inspect everything from the crank, piston wear, cylinders, ect..

an if this is a variable in the equasion, the cylinders I had were nickasil.

I would be safe to say also that the majority of the GPR tuners break their motors in with the same oil they use also.

Not sure where the discrepancy is, but it's been a smooth and productful rut for me.

Now as for Dumonde, I've heard of it, but never used it and I'm sure it works great vs. other techniques. this is good information for other people to know. the testimonials above that members have provided over it apparently prove it is good to use. I am willing to try it one day. I did not say I was against it.

thanks for your input ! better yet, one step furthur, how about somebody post some information about Dumonde for the forum members ! That is what this forum is about ! Shared information !

Thanks peeps

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information