Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gp1200r wont start!

Hi, i have a 2001 gp1200r and i just rebuilt the carbs today and after it was all put back together it will not start. It will crank but it wont start. We double checked all our connections and we do smell fuel.

Any ideas guys?

p.s. it is around 40 degrees outside but we are working in a garage that is about 50-55. I can only assume that this is a major factor.

+1
    welcome to the forum

did you pack the fuel lines?
    Is the return an supply correct?
    Do you have a primer kit?
    did you do a rejet? complete rebuild?
    Were the lines from the gas tank sending unit removed? if so, did you replace them back in the proper location(s)?
    Do you have a fuel selector switch ?

what do you mean by pack the fuel lines?
    the supply is correct
    I do not have a primer kit.
    it was a rebuild kit, replaced seals, gaskets, and needle valve, did not rejet.
    gas lines from the sending unit are in place.
    fuel selector switch is on

+1
    yup, sounds like the fuel lines are not packed yet. you can either put and inline primer bulb and pack the supply line to the carb, or just continue to crank and crank until the lines fill up. the pulse line from the case to each carb pulses a fuel pump diaphram in the carb body. this is what pulses to suck the fuel from the sending unit pickup to the carb.
    no worries, you can continue to crank and crank. It will eventually pack the line and eventually your carbs and then start your ski.

Here is some information over the primer bulb technique.
    Prime Fuel System
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ht=primer+bulb

ok thanks, how much cranking do u think will be needed to get her to start up because it seems like we did it for a while. sorry its my first time I've never really done something of this magnitude with the ski.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahaman71234 View Post
    ok thanks, how much cranking do u think will be needed to get her to start up because it seems like we did it for a while. sorry its my first time I've never really done something of this magnitude with the ski.
    rx is saying that you take a bulb you can find them at like walmart at the boat corner.. and connect it in your fuel line toward the front of the ski. It should say in that thread he posted..

because with the bulb when its all hooked up you can pump and suck gas so that your fuel lines fill up with gas. Right now your fuel lines are empty, and your trying to crank.. but there is no fuel.

when you put the bulb on then you can get fuel flowing through the lines.. and into the carbs and what not then you crank it over and it should start.

Then after it has started for the first time, you can take the bulb out and re-hook all the fuel lines as normal.

+1
    Remove the return line at the tank and stick it into a container and crank till you get fuel. If you remove the spark plugs it will crank faster just make sure you put the removed plugs back in the wires and ground them. Be careful of fuel fumes. Oh and Welcome to the Hulk..

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Remove the return line at the tank and stick it into a container and crank till you get fuel. If you remove the spark plugs it will crank faster just make sure you put the removed plugs back in the wires and ground them. Be careful of fuel fumes. Oh and Welcome to the Hulk..
    This is what i do & if it is a fresh motor i make sure the cylinders are well lubed with 2 stroke oil.

Quote Originally Posted by kham383 View Post
    This is what i do & if it is a fresh motor i make sure the cylinders are well lubed with 2 stroke oil.
    Is it bad to pour a little two stroke mixture down one clyinder? I just bought one and want to hear it run.

victory!

Hey guys thanks for all the help, tonight i took the return fuel line off and the plugs out and let it turn until fuel came out of the line. Hooked it right back up and threw the plugs back in. It started up like a champ. Havnt heard it run in almost a year in a half so its good to have her back!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information