Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Water Ingestion, or Not?? Yea, I screwed up....

At the end of the season, after some 10 years around seadoo's and knowing all the tricks to make sure that they don't fail - I had the biggest (and one I know well) brain fart while winterizing. It is amazing how you can screw up when you get in a hurry and then kind freak out when it happens. Here is what happened…….. I killed the damn engine and left the hose on! What a dumb a$$. Not really sure how long, but more than seconds, I would guess minutes.

Then, if that wasn’t bad enough my instinct was to kill the water and try to spin the engine without removing the plugs. Yep, you got it – dumb a$$ #2. Here is the maybe good news – the engine ran normally with no issues. There was no sign of water in the oil at all (nothing milky at all).

Here is what I did after the dumb attach. Read my maintenance manual. Finally got my brain in gear and pulled the plugs and rotated the engine (of course it would be long gone). No water. Fogged the cylinders heavily. Changed the oil #1 (within about 15 minutes of the event). Changed the oil #2. Decided that I should get the engine hot in case there was any water. Took it out and rode it for about 30 minutes (that was a story in itself – they pulled the dock???). Got it good and hot. Came home, flushed it the right way. Fogged the cylinders. Changed the oil one last time. I also checked compression on each cylinder to ensure everything was fine, and it was.

Mind you, I don’t know if any water ever made it to the cylinders, but wanted to be through after the brain attack. Now, other than sharing a dumb story – I do have a question. Is there a potential that the ski could have had some damage that I didn’t eliminate that will cause a more catastrophic failure later? I am guessing the obvious answer is maybe, so is there anything I can do to diagnose short of breaking the cases apart?

+1
    Wel my instinct would be that your fine. The fact that you delt with it right away and ran it all ok I think that you are going to be al right. The main thing is that there was no water in the oil. If you had done anything major to the engine I think it would have shown itself right away. Plus fogging the cylinders means that you are preventing any corrosion. I take it it was on the ski in you sig?? R88

Edit: Just re read your post, I would say that no water made it to your cylinders, you prob just filled the water box alot then blew it all out when you started her up again. How long was it between the brain fart and when you did the oil changes ect ect??

+1
    you'll like this.. a thread I started on another forum about stupid mistakes I've done..

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...ghlight=stupid

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    How long was it between the brain fart and when you did the oil changes ect ect??
    Edited above. Glad to know I am not alone on mistakes. I guess my worry would be something like a slightly bent rod that would cause a failure later, but after running it hard for 30 minutes - I would think that failure would show itself. Just not sure. That is the reason for the post. I would rather tear it down than break a hole in the cases.

If you look at the exhaust elbow and where the flush water comes, in - it looks like it would head to the engine long before the waterbox. But maybe that is what happened. Anyone have any experience on which way water flows when there is no exhaust. Might help others that make this mistake know how much time is too much!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsdw View Post
    Edited above. Glad to know I am not alone on mistakes. I guess my worry would be something like a slightly bent rod that would cause a failure later, but after running it hard for 30 minutes - I would think that failure would show itself. Just not sure. That is the reason for the post. I would rather tear it down than break a hole in the cases.

If you look at the exhaust elbow and where the flush water comes, in - it looks like it would head to the engine long before the waterbox. But maybe that is what happened. Anyone have any experience on which way water flows when there is no exhaust. Might help others that make this mistake know how much time is too much!
    Yes i agree my only real concern would be a bent rod. You wont know without stripping the engine tho. Did it start easy straight away? I would say that if it spluttered atal then maybe you got water to the cylinders then yes there is a possibilty of bent rod. The water from cooling the exhaust has no accses to the cylinders until the whole exhaust is full of water and then flows back to the engine. Wel this is my understanding. So you would have to fill the waterbox and then it would fill the j pipe and finaly flow into the manifold and the cylinders. R88

+1
    It fired right up with no issues. No sputtering, went on the first attempt. I guess you couldn't make that determination from a TDC guage. I guess the real question is how many delayed, rod bent failures have people had on the NA 4Tecs. The one in questions here is the '03 in my signature line.

Smile

Youre fine then no worrys ,dont lose sleep over it.Only time you really worry is if you filled cylinders with H2o then cranked it over without pulling plugs and bent a rod,,usually starter motor itself isnt stong enough to cause rod damage (but hey anything when it says seadoo is possible)You did all the right things checked for water , changed oil(twice was overkill) but as expensive as parts are and as fragile as the supercharged 4tecs have proven to be(I'm Ducking now from all the Tomatos thrown at me) you did everything right,Sleep well your ski is fine!!JMHO>Marvin

+1
    I think if you never saw any water in oil, even between changes, then you should be ok...what was your compresoin check?you can do a leak down, as that should eliminate valve issues.

If you had before and after compression measurements, you could tell if one of the cylinders was off a little. That 'might' indicate a slightly bent rod. But it sounds like you caught it in time... Ron

That it fired up straight away tells me it is fine , my ski got waster in the hull after sinking we poured all the water out of the hull , but did not pull the plugs before restarting, when I restarted the ski it fired straight away but was missing like mad and wwhen the miss fire went away i was down 800-100 rpms the con rod was bent about a quarter of an inch and took the side of the barrel and needed a rebore.

All this happened because I gave a friend a ride and he jumped it non stop for 5 minutes and the hull filled up with water and capsized.

DONT LET ANYONE RIDE YOUR SKI!!!!!!

also compression was down on the cylinder with the bent rod
    Last edited by cawky; 01-11-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: a little more info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information