Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Input on X4 Deal

Looking at picking up a non-running '97 SPX for a project to "piddle around with" and to have as a second ski. Ski may or may not need much to get back on the water again. Ski has normal wear with fading to hood and handle bar pad cover a mess. Otherwise just needs a good cleaning cosmetically. Not much know about the mechanics of the ski. DESS key is missing. Ski will turn over with starter jumped.
    What is the fair price range for these skis?
    How are they to ride?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    with or with out a trailer? Check compression before you buy!!! thats the #1 rule! check and see if the top end has been off? fuel line updates?carb rebuild? ect. DESS keys are 30 bucks programmed. I 'd offer no more than 1000 for it with the info that I have...when was it last on the water?

No trailer.
    Its been atleast a year or more since its been on the water.
    I'm going into it assuming the motor is bad, but it might not be.

+1
    definitly do a compression test. that will be the key on determining what you should pay for it. if the compression is around 150+/- a couple PSI per cylinder you are good...if not its in need of a rebuild and wouldnt offer more than $500 pending on appearence

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    with or with out a trailer? Check compression before you buy!!! thats the #1 rule! check and see if the top end has been off? fuel line updates?carb rebuild? ect. DESS keys are 30 bucks programmed. I 'd offer no more than 1000 for it with the info that I have...when was it last on the water?
    We normally charge more than $30 for just the Key then the Tech has to drag out the laptop and links to program the key it ends up almost $100 to get one programed. I know we ain't cheep but I'm sure we are close to other shops
    The rest of what you said is right on. You need to ride it but if you cant take a good light and pull the rave valves and look at the sides of the pistons and cylinders. If their is no Serial number on the engine or an SBT number on it you are going to have fun rebuilding it. Welded Cranks and 1mm over bores for starters

+1
    I think that i paid 30-40 for the key and programming was free? IDK thats all that my stealership charged me.

+1
    Less than $30 for a new programmed one here too.

I guess It has to do with Me not being willing to stop what I am doing to come out front and program the Key for free. I and most Techs work flat rate. Our old hand programer broke years ago and the Buds system isn't as portable. But what can you say. I have to eat. Then there is the clown with the dead battery and the lost key that makes it so much fun.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    I guess It has to do with Me not being willing to stop what I am doing to come out front and program the Key for free. I and most Techs work flat rate. Our old hand programer broke years ago and the Buds system isn't as portable. But what can you say. I have to eat. Then there is the clown with the dead battery and the lost key that makes it so much fun.
    LOL on the dead battery! Yep, we all have to eat. Most people don't respect that because it's their "toy" you are working on, so they want it done as cheap as they can.

Why are you opposed to using ProX pistons PEST? Just wondering. Are the Weiscos that much cheaper?

I just like the light pins in the Forged Weisco's and Have no history with PROX. I like ridding more than wrenching so I stick with the what I know on my ski. I almost had to walk back 2 times last year .

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information