Replace shaft and impeller 97 SLT 700

I have a new shaft and impleller for my 97 SLT 700, and I am wondering if someone can refer me to some documentation for reassembly?

I've located a copy of the shop manual, and while helpful, the diagrams are rather poor quality, and if better documentation exists, I'd appreciate a little direction.

Do I have to take the impeller casing apart in order to replace the impeller. I understand the two halves are sealed with some sort of special adhesive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

+1

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    There are also manuals posted online in the tech section that will help you.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj00 View Post
    I have a new shaft and impeller for my 97 SLT 700, and I am wondering if someone can refer me to some documentation for reassembly?

I've located a copy of the shop manual, and while helpful, the diagrams are rather poor quality, and if better documentation exists, I'd appreciate a little direction.

Do I have to take the impeller casing apart in order to replace the impeller. I understand the two halves are sealed with some sort of special adhesive.
    You can find Polaris Factory Service Manuals here.

Special sealant for the jet pump? Not sure what you are referring to

All Polaris PWC from 1994 onwards use a modular jet pump assembly. Some also include a 4 inch long pump extension ring, which appeared on the higher performance models, and later as stock on multiple models.

Have you removed your jet pump yet?

The online manual outlines the jet pump removal procedure, but in general, it goes like this;
    Disconnect any of the small bilge drain hoses from the jet pump nozzle.
    Also disconnect the steering and reverse cables from the rear of the jet pump.

Then you remove the four LONG bolts (not nuts) that hold the nozzle and jet pump together.

Now you can wiggle and pull on the jet pump body, until it lets go. Be careful you don't fall down when it comes unstuck.

If it is really stuck in place, some of us use a medium length 2x4 and gently pry the pump body left and right, just a bit, until it works loose. Don't force the jet pump body too far sideways, or you can damage the impeller.

When you pull the pump straight out, the drive shaft may come out with it. That is OK. If the drive shaft sticks in the engine coupler, it can be removed by wiggling and pulling it straight out.

While you have it apart, you may want to inspect, and possibly replace, the twelve year old seals and bearing in your drive shaft through-hull bearing. Also inspect the drive shaft where those through-hull seals ride on the shaft.

Same goes for the bearings and seals in the jet pump stator. You will have access to these when you remove the impeller from the stub shaft. If ANY water gets inside the bearings, the bearings will rust. Rust will cause bearing seizure, which is bad.

Thread Information