gtx di weird in water fault

lots of hassle with mates di so far...
    started with missing at top rpm, and getting worse, not getting over 40mph.
    found a hole in hose to waterbox. fixed that (had to push waterbox back may have stressed something) as after that was coming up with 'maint' and running on 1 cylinder. checked comp, was 105,108psi but with cheap tester and know this is normal for a 951 due to crank speed, certainly not excessively low. checked on buds and found 1 of the 2 tps out, so changed it. the cap was not sitting down properly on front plug so cut back a little, now running both cyl.

to cut long story, have tried loads of things and cant now remember outcome at each stage, including checking all 4 injectors: ok, now no buds errors!, cleaned raves (were sticky), fuel pump pressure low at 95psi when cranking (couldnt start at the time and used dealers equipment so cant try again easily) it should be 107psi but not sure if this would be higher when running?, so dont want to swap out expensive pump yet. it was ok at 27psi on turn on. have not checked compressor psi, would need to use dealer equipment again. but both inj's squirt with rail pulled off.

The problem now is it revs perfect on land, soon as it hits water it feels like fuel starvation, when trailering it out of water while running, it revs ok as it leaves water???? after a minute it beebs and goes down to limp idle.

I am now thinking either down to load when in water or when water is going through a dodgy sensor (exhaust sensor? as this may have been disturbed), although on hose revs fine. so suspecting load more than flow.

the fuel filter has never been changed, the fuel pump is a little low but very expensive to try and with 95psi guess that would only be a problem at top rpm?, water problem seemed to start after waterbox was pulled back but may be coincidence, not tested compressor but inj seems to squirt ok. any suggestions please?

Welcome to the GH

I'm no 2-stroke guy, but it could sound like a faulty sparkplug... They can sound ok with no load, but fail as soon as they are under load.

that was 1st thing to try, have tried 2 sets now as they are weird plugs on di. zrf.something, not br8es like carb versions.

If I remember correctly, the '02 & '03 DIs had fuel pump problems - they would go out at less than 100 hours. If you can, borrow one to see if it helps. I understand that they are very expensive... Ron

i can get hold of a 4tec one for cheap, the part no is different (connectors different) anyone know if i could use this?

Low voltage?????

shouldnt the 4tec pump and di both be 12v, it is probably down to fuel pressure delivery specs.

I had the same problem,it was the fuel pump.The pump is a bosch pump and had it replaced via a bosch agent.The 4 tec pump will not work.Check your rave valves to see if the open when reving it up.

Markus

rave valves ok and it is affecting low rpm too, are pumps so sensitive that 95psi would cause it to run so bad (feels like fuel starvation) at low rpm too?

The test in the service manual tests both fuel pressure and fuel flow... Ron

Thread Information