Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar

R&D Prop Change...Help!!!!

Hey guys.......just installed my R&D/Skat-Trak prop on my SHO....fired her up and she started making an ugly noise........looks like the prop is hitting the wear ring on the 9 o'clock -11 o'clock positions (looking from the rear).

Is this normal???.....it's not terrible but definitely making a noise......should i be worried? When we first fired her up....my buddy PD brought the revs up to like 2500-3k....and the noise went away.......

but when the motor came back down to idle.......the noise came back.

Again....the prop is hitting at the 9-11 oclock positions on the wear ring....

Rip how are your pump bearings? I know you ride a lot, how many hours do you have on your current bearings? Can you check clearance per your manual? Also how is driveshaft alignment? Just throwing those out there.

Sounds like your liner is swollen from salt water riding. Salt gets between the stainless liner and aluminum housing and bubbles the liner a few thousandths..I had to replace both my gpr stock housings with rivas solid stainless housing. Very nice piece..

Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    Rip how are your pump bearings? I know you ride a lot, how many hours do you have on your current bearings? Can you check clearance per your manual? Also how is driveshaft alignment? Just throwing those out there.
    My Pump bearings were full of white goo from a bad seal (but we caught the problem early b4 any dmg was done to the wear ring).......just had all the pump bearing replaced and the 13/23 impeller installed on the shaft by Riva.......so yeah...that variable is out of the equation but yeah.....good call...appreciate the post....

I then took the shaft/pump/impeller back and installed it on my SHO with the help of Pipidulce (thanx bro)......everything looks fine except for the rub at the 9, 10, 11 oclock position on the impeller.

Pipidulce, who has alot of experience with Kawasaki skis/pumps....doesnt think its a big deal but thinks i should get it checked out anyway as he's not familiar with Yammi pumps.....

Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Sounds like your liner is swollen from salt water riding. Salt gets between the stainless liner and aluminum housing and bubbles the liner a few thousandths..I had to replace both my gpr stock housings with rivas solid stainless housing. Very nice piece..
    hmmm......well the SHO has a factory stainless wear ring......but i was told that it is softer than the prop....

Should i just run the ski, let the harder prop get groovy on the wear ring, and let nature take its course?

It has a stainless wear ring, pressed into an aluminum housing. Salt gets between the two and swells the stainless liner. It will get worse fast and destroy the impeller. Replace it with either a factory housing, which is the same thing, or rivas solid stainless housing.

+1
    I am no expert, but I am thinking alignment. Could it be possible that you could have thrown off engine alignment, or the pump alignment when you hit bottom?With such tight clearances it would seem possible.

+1
    Rip, my suggestion, do what Rossnemo says, replace the wear ring and save yourself alot of headaches and $$$

kk....thx for ur input guys....looks like im going to get a new wear ring.....

I'm gonna start researching stainless housings also Ross...not sure if one is available from Riva or one of the other aftermarket companies?? seems like a new wear ring will be a band-aid until the problem happens again unless i get the stainless housing to go along with the wear ring........

ill keep ya'll posted

+1

Thumbs up

It has a stainless wear ring, pressed into an aluminum housing. Salt gets between the two and swells the stainless liner. It will get worse fast and destroy the impeller. Replace it with either a factory housing, which is the same thing, or rivas solid stainless housing.
    thats exactly what it is. Good post Ross. Us GPR guys have been seeing this since 2000. Same liner housing we all use basically.

Good post Ross.

As for the salt getting between the liner and housing, flush your ski well if you ride in salt water. spray the pump area and lubricate with a corrosion inhibitor in the pump area after flushing and storage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information