Dead ignition GTX

I rode my 2000 GTX yesterday but today no response from the switch-no 2 beep signal, no gauge response.
    I replaced the switch post a few months ago. Could it be the same thing and can anyone tell me how and where to test?There are 3 wires involved, yellow/black, black and white.
    The ski will crank fine when bridged across the solenoid and has a new battery.

Found this info for ya in another post:

The dess post has a black wire that's ground. A black/yellow goes to the posts magnetic switch. The white goes to the center pin. The only test you can do to a dess post is to test continuity between the black and black/yellow wires. It will show open when no lanyard then once you install a lanyard, the magnet in the lanyard will close the switch and you'll get continuity between the two wires. Sometimes the lanyards magnet goes bad and that causes the switch not to close though so keep that in mind.

Dead ignition GTx

Thanks for that Pirhana. The Lsnyard looks as if its seen better days so that would be my guess until I test

dead ignition GTX

Dess Post showed continuity between Bl/Y and Bl so I guess we'll have to find another culprit.

Check all fuses.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Even if the lanyard was bad it should give you a single beep, and not any beep.

I agree with the check fuses advice, I bet your inductive pickup broke and blew the 5 amp.

dead ignition GTX

To those who went for fuses.......Thanks, the 5A and 15A were shot but looked good from the ouside. Only when I tested continuity did it show up.
    It doesn't seem logical but they blow when the ski is left overnight. When replaced, she runs fine.

i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1

hm

hi there i had a problem like this on my 1996 xp and it turned out that the black wire gets a lot of current through it and it gets brittle..
    there was a break in the wire... replaced the wire completely and hey presto

Quote Originally Posted by corkycat View Post
    hi there i had a problem like this on my 1996 xp and it turned out that the black wire gets a lot of current through it and it gets brittle..
    there was a break in the wire... replaced the wire completely and hey presto
    Do you mean the black wire that gets connected to the negative post on the battery? The really thin one?

You wouldn't believe how many people I have saved with this.. at least 3. Dealers told them that they needed new "computer units " or " new starting systems " and all it was, was a cut/bad/deteriorated black wire on the post. $2 worth of parts and they run like new, instead of the $200-$400 the dealerships wanted to charge! Crooks!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    Do you mean the black wire that gets connected to the negative post on the battery? The really thin one?

You wouldn't believe how many people I have saved with this.. at least 3. Dealers told them that they needed new "computer units " or " new starting systems " and all it was, was a cut/bad/deteriorated black wire on the post. $2 worth of parts and they run like new, instead of the $200-$400 the dealerships wanted to charge! Crooks!
    That's all cool, but there isn't a thin black wire like you mention on a 2000 GTX.

It's either your inductive pickup broken or your stator is shorted from metal shavings collected on it. Either way, you need to pull the front cover and inspect. On a GTX, you are probably better off pulling the whole engine for access.

Thread Information