Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gun Question

Gun Question

Hey guys. My brother gave me a decent amount of money for x-mas for managing the construction of his house over the summer while he was working and I've decided to buy a shot gun with it.

Its mainly going be used for skeet shooting my friend lives in a hunt club and can do it out of his backyard but eventually i want to start hunting too so basically I'm looking for an all around shot gun (12 GA)

I've narrowed it down to 2 choices Remington model 870 synthetic or a mossberg field 500.

Bassically im just looking for some input good or bad? it will be my first shotgun thats why im asking.

Also between these 2 guns does anyone know how much they would run for ? Dont want to spend much more then 300 dollars.

Thanks in advance guys any input is appreaciated.

+1
    The remington 870 is by far the better shotgun and it depends if you buy used or new. A new one would cost a little more than 300.00. I have a remington 1100 semi automatic and for the money, it can't be beat. The mossberg 500 would probally be within your budget. i had one and they are not bad.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I have a remington. I like it. its a good all around gun. easy to clean and maintain. what barrel length do you want? 30in? also go with the semi-auto. personally I hate pumps, but they are fun

I want to shoot for a better, more reliable, more first time user friendly shot gun. If it cost a little more that's fine. I will be buying new.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    I have a remington. I like it. its a good all around gun. easy to clean and maintain. what barrel length do you want? 30in? also go with the semi-auto. personally I hate pumps, but they are fun
    I don't need anything to fancy since i really don't know how much ill be using it. I'll probably just go with a 28 inch barrel.

this is it: http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._synthetic.asp

Both are good guns. I like my Browning BPS, but it's over $450. Mossberg's are used by the military and tons of police departments. Not as smooth and silky as the high-end guns, but good-shooting and very reliable. Can't go wrong with the Remington either, I'd pick it over the Mossberg.

I'd look for a shotgun with interchangeable chokes for more versatility. Modified is good for most hunting (rabbit, squirrel, dove), improved (and skeet) is better for trap and skeet, full is for turkey, duck and goose. then you can buy a rifled slug barrel for deer season.

I like my Mossberg and it's convertable to home defense in about 30 min's

NASTY! That thing'll scare anyone without firing a shot! Is there anything scarier than the sound of the sound of bolt slamming home?

+1
    They are all great guns, if possible try them out and see how they feel for you.
    ZMANN, I like that, what is the model no. and price on that one you have, looks bad azz... are those flash lights on the front? Can't be lasers on a shot gun...

Being dragged kicking and screaming into 1997 afcblink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skipSC View Post
    I have a remington 1100 semi automatic and for the money, it can't be beat.
    Yea, that's the gun. As in "the gun." The Mohammed Ali of firearms.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information