97 Gp760 no start

All of a sudden my ski will not start.it cranks but no start. Battery is fully charged I checked for spark and it only sparks once on crank and then it goes out.anyone have any ideas this happened once before and after a week of trying to figure it out it finnaly started it's been fine for 2 months and now it's doing the same thing please help!!!!!!

so your saying it finally started? what does the display say if u push and hold the mode button?

Quote Originally Posted by basscase35 View Post
    when i push and hold the mode button it goes to code i enter aaaa and it says start. after that i still only get spark on the first inital crank. this happened about 2 months ago i brough it to the shop and it started fine for them they found no problems. it very intemitent. fuels on start stop switch is ok, battery good cranks strong just no spark. and i changed the coil last time this happened even though it didnt fix it so the coil in new.???????????????????????
    Strange that it ran for the shop? ,, When you say you replaced the coil do you mean in the Electrical box that feeds the spark plugs or the one in the stator behind the cover ,, have you ohmed out the electrical system? do yo need the specs? also this might be a good candidate for trimming back the plug wires a 1/4 inch

+1
    we see many problems here, with the yamaha start / stop switch assy, causing a no spark condition.

people tend to store their machines with the teather cord "off". this allows the kill button to depress the kill switch inside the assembly. there is a rubber boot inside there, that helps water proof the switch. over time, this boot keeps the inner switch stuck in the down position, and it won't start.

unplug your starter switches wire harness ( both plugs), and use a paper clip to "jump" across the two start wires, and see if you get spark. if you do, then you can figure it is in the switch assembly on the bars.

you can open up the switch assembly, and mess with the boot, on the kill switch, and get it to run that way too.

we usually just replace the switch assembly, if this is what is bad. you may have luck trying to stretch the boot out, and get it to relax.

also clean all contacts etc in the switch assembly, they can give the same symptons.

this is very common. good luck.

John,

I have a very weak spark on my 760. I do not have the service manual. Any chance you could identify the wires you are referring to? Also if you have any test procedures for an ohm meter that would be awesome.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig40S&W View Post
    John,

I have a very weak spark on my 760. I do not have the service manual. Any chance you could identify the wires you are referring to? Also if you have any test procedures for an ohm meter that would be awesome.
    well, "if" you have weak spark, i would guess it is not the start / stop sw. try taking your plug boots off the wires, and cutting them back 1/4 inch, and then reinstalling. could be a bad stator assy.

you may be able to pick up a yamaha shop manual at your local library.

you are on right track

Hope that it does not get too expensive.

Pull off your flywheel cover and see how everything looks in there, if there is excessive oil you could have blown a front seal or if there is corrosion your flywheel cover gasket is allowing moisture in. Also check your electrical box for moisture/corrosion.

Sounds like a bad CDI to me. I would start with trying John Zigler's test first because its easy and free then work your way through the electrical.

Thread Information