Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

New proposed law, I am so against this!

There are 300 million people in the US, the percentage of deaths is lower than bicycle accidents....we are micromanaging every aspect of life. People just need to take the risk and be responsible. This is getting ridiculous! America Wake Up!

Talking While Driving Similar To Driving Drunk, Studies Show

TheOmahaChannel.com
    updated 7:45 a.m. PT, Tues., Jan. 13, 2009

OMAHA, Neb. - Safety experts have urged drivers who talk on cell phones to consider whether their conversations are worth their lives.
    The National Safety Council said using a cell phone while driving quadruples drivers' risk of getting into an accident.
    The safety council cites stats that show 2,600 deaths a year are caused by drivers distracted by cell phones.

Driving while distracted causes a lot of fatalities and a lot of "needless pain and suffering," said the safety council's Bill Mulherin.
    "We have all seen other vehicles being driven by people not very well and when we come up along side of them, they're on the cell phone," Mulherin said. "Ask yourself -- Do you want to be that person?"
    In Nebraska and Iowa, it's not against the law to use a cell phone while driving.
    But the safety council's goal is to change that, and it already has support.
    As an emergency room physician, Chip Schmier, said he sees the destructive results of distracted drivers. Schmier said he supports a ban.
    Some studies have shown that driving while on the phone is the same as being legally drunk or having a blood-alcohol level of .08 percent.
    "Is the conversation worth your life? Is it worth the lives of the people around you and the lives of your passengers in the vehicle?" said Mulherin. "Most often, those conversations are not very important and they can wait just a few minutes," he said.
    There's no immediate plan in Nebraska to ban cell phone use while driving. The safety council is working to spread the message and hoping that drivers will voluntarily hang up when they realize the dangers.
    Bluetooth technology would also be included in any regulation.

It's been illegal to use a hand-held cellphone while driving here in Norway for 2 or 3 years now.... There's a ticket at $200 if busted. Handsfrees are still legal tho...
    I think I remember Mythbusters did a test on just that "talk/drunk while driving" issue

+1
    I just saw an article in my local paper about this. It is RIDICULOUS!!! They quoted an advocate of the law as saying "we take away keys from friends when they are too drunk to drive, now its time to take away their cell phones." There are WAY too many BS laws being proposed/passed anymore, its disgusting!!!!

If they want to ban cell phone usage in cars, they should also ban police officers from using their radios. Maybe have 2 officers - one to drive and one to use the radio. What about seat belts in school busses?... Ron

Moderated
    its been illegal here for about 8 years if not more and still there have been so many deaths caused by idiots on mobile phones either talking to texting....

hands free is ok but not any other way.

try and plead your case with the countless families of the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    its been illegal here for about 8 years if not more and still there have been so many deaths caused by idiots on mobile phones either talking to texting....

+1

I don't know how many times I have had to take evasive actions to keep from being in an accident with someone on a cell phone.

Other than an emergency situation there is no need for anyone to be on a phone while driving.

+1
    I have used my Hands free for years. I spend a minimum of an hour and a half on the phone driving every day. I have seen countless times though where people are texting or talking and they do indeed drive dangerously. Not everyone can multi task, so does it come down to having the few ruin it for the majority?

Be a Hero...Punch a Koala Kaotic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post

yeah but 8 years ago it took 2 hands to hold a cell phone

I actually agree with the law. I don't know how many times i've almost been sideswiped by a soccer mom on a cell phone, and be completely oblivious that she even did anything wrong. I've used a Blu-tooth for a while now. Much more convenient and safer.

+1
    2600 die from cell phone accidents 18000 from drunk driving in 2008 those numbers are close.

so 2600 people dieing is worth taking the rights away from 330 million people? if you answer yes to that then we should band guns, motorcycles, crossing the street and about a million other activities to.

im sure you guys think the obesity tax that is being proposed in ny is okay to

Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    2600 die from cell phone accidents... ....in 2008.
    Can you link a source for this info?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information