Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RXP Non Starter

+1

RXP Non Starter

Out Yesterday with my Bud Hydrotherapy and the following occured;

Ran ski for say 20 mins then stopped at a beach stayed there for say 15 mins then the ski would not start ( strange)

Removed plugs all looked ok not wet But prehaps no fuel cranked on Fuel throttle to clean out still nothing. Hear fuel pump prime and time out .

Started towing ski back this would be a long trip after a few mins on the rope, I tried to start again it started to fire on 1 then 2 then 3 then it was running good.

Took off the rope and it ran at 8550 / 8600 for the rest of the outing starting and stopping fine.

The water was very cold and you could smell fuel behind has it stayed on cold start / water temp on gauge 34deg F

Any Ideas or has this happened to anybody before ??
    Thanks

Steve

Speck as follows :

Riva Ecu 50Ib injectors
    Valve train upgrade
    Rotax wheel
    External intercooler
    Gibson Exhaust
    Rotax Thermostate
    Riva 3inch intake inside
    15-19 with stainless liner
    81mm ring
    Race engineering block offs
    Riva grate

+1
    I have heard of starting problems in cold conditions and big injectors. Are you running stock plugs?? The thread i read said that starting was allot better with the upgraded plugs that you can get. The name escapes me at the mo. The only problem with these plugs is that they are prone to fouling. R88 P.S the cold water is good for speed tho huh!!

+1
    HI
    I am using the STD plugs at the mo, yep the cold weather was definatly good for speed but in these conditions seens to be running a bit Rich.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    HI
    I am using the STD plugs at the mo, yep the cold weather was definatly good for speed but in these conditions seens to be running a bit Rich.

Thanks
    Normally the cold would make you run lean, wel WOT anyway. I think that the combination of cold temps plus big injectors could have been the issue. Im not all that clued up onit but this is what i had read in the past. Maybe get some of the other plugs some do say that with anything stage 2+ the stockers start to struggle. R88

+1
    Denso Iridium IXU27 ???

+1
    This happened to me a few weeks ago. 60 degree air & I wasn't even in the water. It fired right up in the garage before I left but it would only crank & crank on the trailer at the ramp. Took the plugs out several times to dry them out. Nope......It was like there was no spark. Trawlercat had a spare plug so I put it in & it sputtered like it was flooded for about 20 seconds & then it was all good. This happened to me once before when the ski had only 20 hrs on it too. I think the older plugs didn't have enough spark left in them maybe?

I'm running stock injectors too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    Denso Iridium IXU27 ???
    Yes Yes that is what i wanted to say. Cheers JP

+1
    I had Denso plugs... they lasted 15 hours in my ski.... pulled them out and put stock ones in and it runs just as good as the Denso plugs.

You might want to just change out your plugs and keep a spare set in the ski.

+1
    When i was testing my RXP in cooler conditions, say 40 - 50 air and 55 water. My ski would not want to start in morning but once warm it was not an issue. And you definitely could smell the gas more. Ski will run richer until warm. This was with stock ecu and 50s with RRFPR.
    I think arround 10.5 to 10.8 AFR when cold but once warmed up it would come up to mid elevens.
    You would think that the Riva ecu would not be as rich at idle but i can not tell you yet, as i have not ran the Riva yet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Out Yesterday with my Bud Hydrotherapy and the following occured;

Ran ski for say 20 mins then stopped at a beach stayed there for say 15 mins then the ski would not start ( strange)

Removed plugs all looked ok not wet But prehaps no fuel cranked on Fuel throttle to clean out still nothing. Hear fuel pump prime and time out .

Started towing ski back this would be a long trip after a few mins on the rope, I tried to start again it started to fire on 1 then 2 then 3 then it was running good.

Took off the rope and it ran at 8550 / 8600 for the rest of the outing starting and stopping fine.

The water was very cold and you could smell fuel behind has it stayed on cold start / water temp on gauge 34deg F

Any Ideas or has this happened to anybody before ??
    Thanks

Steve

Speck as follows :

Riva Ecu 50Ib injectors
    Valve train upgrade
    Rotax wheel
    External intercooler
    Gibson Exhaust
    Rotax Thermostate
    Riva 3inch intake inside
    15-19 with stainless liner
    81mm ring
    Race engineering block offs
    Riva grate
    It will run rich if the engine does not get up to operating temp but I had a similar problem when I had my gibson muffler but I had been sitting on the back of the ski when it was parked and all I could figure was that some water backed up into the exhaust. I finaly got it started and did not have that issue again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information