Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Papa's got a brand new toy!

Here are some pics of my home made Helmet Cam. The helmet was purchased at the Sports Authority. It supports the New Go Pro Hero 5MP camera and the rear red bracket supports my Olympus Stylus 1030Sw camera. Land trials have been successful. Havent been in the ski yet for testing but I will soon. I will post videos here and compare both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160004.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	112755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160002.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	112756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1160001.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	112757  

+1
    No wind tunnel testing, eh? j/k

looks good, bro.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Here are some pics of my home made Helmet Cam. The helmet was purchased at the Sports Authority. It supports the New Go Pro Hero 5MP camera and the rear red bracket supports my Olympus Stylus 1030Sw camera. Land trials have been successful. Havent been in the ski yet for testing but I will soon. I will post videos here and compare both.

Ahh Todds going to love this

I wish they made the 1030sw threads metal instead of the plastic.. be carefull.

Quote Originally Posted by ADAMBOMB View Post
    Ahh Todds going to love this

I wish they made the 1030sw threads metal instead of the plastic.. be carefull.
    Thanks for pointing this out to me Adam I hadn't even paid attention to this potential problem. I plan on tethering the camera to the vent holes on the helmet. I'll have to slip the line between the helmet plastic and the foam so it doesn't bother my melon. I just hope it stays put at high speeds and wave jumping. This is going to be a great summer. I can't wait to start playing with this thing. Hope to see ya again at the next Hydrodrag event I had a great time. Terry is still recooping.

you think it will hold

Testing of helmet cam

Quote Originally Posted by piratepete View Post
    you think it will hold
    I managed to finally test the helmet this weeked with both the Olympus 1030SW and the Go Pro Hero 5Mp cameras. The 1030SW produced good video with vibrant colors and decent sound but some noise gets reflected on the video as my moded shorty waterbox makes quite a rummble and wind shear at speeds close to70 can be heard specially when you turn your head to view your surroundings. This camera was mounted on the red mount of the helmet (view prior pictures) and held steady until I started catching some high swells that I was bouncing all over on...then I flopped backwards but never came detached. I need to either get it there tighter or limit its usage to calmer waters and below 60mph speeds. The surprise of the day was the Go Pro Hero 5MP camera, this little jewel worked fantastic and surpassed my expectations. The camera was clipped onto a supplied sticky pad bracket and held on at speeds in excess of 60 mph. The field of vision was 170 degrees and provided great video for over 20 minutes of footage using energizer batteries ( it used about half the life of the batteries). While not much for capturing sound(because its incassed) its great for wave jumping, drag racing, and close course racing. IMHO if I had a choice I would stick with the Hero for its price (less than 200) vice the Olympus (over 300) The Hero is much more rugged than the Olympus. I'll post some video of both cams on the helmet once I finish editing the footage to make a little more interesting (last night the editing program was giving me a hard time) but check back here in the next couple of days and you can judge by yourselfs. The Olympus 1030SW is rated at 10mp and like I mentioned the Hero is 5mp I could barely tell the difference between the 2 after viewing the footage. Peace out. KC

+1
    Great write-up. I've been looking at the Hero for quite some time and I'm definitely interested in your opinions. Can't wait for the video.

Go Pro Helmet Cam Test

I was a little dissapointed with the compression ratio for you tube as the original video quality from the go pro is lots better than what you see in you tube. So.. if you want to take filming and post it on you tube be aware of the degrading factor. Ive yet to burn a disc of the video to see on my 55' LCD when i do I'll let you know what the quality was like.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I was a little disappointed with the compression ratio for you tube as the original video quality from the go pro is lots better than what you see in you tube...
    Have you tried Vimeo.com ?

Vimeo even has an HD section

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Videos came out awesome, im going to start searching for a waterproof camera

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information