Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Leaking coolant from the ride plate...

2 days ago when I came home from work I noticed a spot of something on the ground under my ski... really didnt pay to much attention to it..

So today when I got home I really noticed it and investigated only to find out my rideplate seems to be leaking coolant.... I am really confused as to why it started doing this??? The ski has been winterized, has antifreeze in it, etc.... stays in a enclosed garage during the night only opened a few times during the day but doesnt stay open all day. It is connected to my house to it really doesnt get that cold in the garage... Only the last few days it has dipped below freezing for only a few hours so I dont think it would have frozen that easily considering it has antifreeze in it too..

here are a few pics to help ya see the problem, and any ideas on what has caused this and how to fix it?

+1
    opps guess the pics would help...lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	869.8 KB 
ID:	112767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	684.0 KB 
ID:	112768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	979.4 KB 
ID:	112769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	644.3 KB 
ID:	112770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	645.2 KB 
ID:	112771  

+1
    This is normal. Almost every screw in mine leaks. Haven't felt like fixing it yet so I just kept topping it off every 3 weeks or so.

To fix it just drain your system, pull the screws and put some silicon sealant around each leaking hole.

EDIT: well looks like yours is leaking from the cover plate, so you may need to pull the plate off and put a good bead of silicon sealant around the mating surface.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    This is normal. Almost every screw in mine leaks. Haven't felt like fixing it yet so I just kept topping it off every 3 weeks or so.

To fix it just drain your system, pull the screws and put some silicon sealent around each leaking hole.
    I'd put them around all the holes, but that's just me, I hate taking the rideplate off.(while you're at it might was well send it Jim for the speed mods)

+1
    but why in the world would it just start leaking for no particular reason, the skis havent moved since sept-oct...???

+1
    Mine did the same. Just over time the mating surfaces move just enough to break a seal and it leaks out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterz View Post
    but why in the world would it just start leaking for no particular reason, the skis havent moved since sept-oct...???

if it gets cold enough friend the gasket can shrink just enough to let coolant pass where as it may not in the summer when its hot and the gasket swells a bit from the heat...........good luck!

+1
    that could just be antifreeze from winterization, was it winterized with green or pink antifreeze??
    excess antifreeze from the cooling sysyem flush could drip down from inside the venturi and pool on the top of the rideplate.
    OR the clamps on the thru hull barbs of the rideplate are oozing, and its leaking down onto the top of the rideplate. check the hose clamps that go to the rideplate thru the hull, replace them with worm gear type clamps.

+1
    although from close inspection of the pics it does look like its coming from the seam of the rideplate...

+1
    I have the pump removed, and took the hoses off inside the ski connecting to the ride plate. I have read several removal tech guides about using a jack to remove the plate making sure it is pushed straight off not to break the hose fittings on the inside.

Problem is, After inspecting the fittings on the inside the hole in the hull doesnt appear to be large enough for the fittings to fit thru??? The fittings where the hose fits are hex headed for a wrench to fit. Do the fittings unscrew out of the ride plate before I take it off? I am worried that as I try to jack the ride plate the fittings are going to hang up in the hole and break...

any advice??

I can provide pics if needed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information