Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Engineer's Opinion needed!!! Building a deck over boat lift.

Ok me and pops are going to be well thinking of building a deck on the boat lift witch will also dubble as a roof for the boat. The only thing were worried about is the added weight that will be added to the lift. Here is the only pic i have of the lift. It's welded to a steel seawall with six 4inch square steel post supports, Boat is a 2001 Doral 230cc and im going to say boats weight is 5000lb, Think Doral says its 4200lbs DRY no fuel or gear. Deck will be 14x25ft and if need be well add more supports.

Any in put would be awesome and if more info is needed i can tell you what ever is needed. Thanks in advance Joel.

boy you sure would get some usable space back and also cover your boat all in the same project

Are you talking about adding it to the "suspended" portion of the lift, or putting a roof over the entire structure? I guess I'm not "seeing" your plan just yet.

+1
    The actual deck will be the roof for the boat. Under the deck were thinking using aluminum sheeting so when it rains it'll just drain out the back into the channel.

And the deck/roof will be attached to the steel vertical members (with holes for the lift cables to pass through)?

+1
    The gear sits about 12in above the I beams the actual deck will be above the gears for the motor. pops was thinking of running 6x12 wood lenght wise on the I beams then have the deck mounted to the 6x12 or make up metal brackets and weld them to the i beam the bolt the deck to them but either way deck will be above the gears and cables. Mane thing were concerned about is the add weight to the lift.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    boy you sure would get some usable space back and also cover your boat all in the same project
    OH YEAH!!! will be some good partys when its done. BUT my little Sportster 150 will be feeling a little left out but i am thinkin for hookin her up with an airdock LMAO

I am not an engineer but don't think I would do it without changing the way the lift connects to the foundation. If you think about it, most all of the load of the boat is vertical because of the low center of gravity.

You would easily double the (weight) stress by adding a deck plus you are changing the center of gravity especially when the boat isn't supported. I would be worried about the sway of the added weight and high center of gravity causing a failure.

The lift just doesn't look that beefy where it connects to the foundation.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    I am not an engineer but don't think I would do it without changing the way the lift connects to the foundation. If you think about it, most all of the load of the boat is vertical because of the low center of gravity.

You would easily double the (weight) stress by adding a deck plus you are changing the center of gravity especially when the boat isn't supported. I would be worried about the sway of the added weight and high center of gravity causing a failure.

The lift just doesn't look that beefy where it connects to the foundation.
    I agree about the sway and were it mounts to the seawall/foundation but if needed ill add more supports. I do know the seawall/foundation can support the weight. Neigbours have a the same kind of lift but beefier that has an 8000lb 33ft scarab on the lift and a deck with a small boat house with full kitchen and bar. i will see if i have pic of his lift for refrence. also lift is designed so we can lift the boat ALL the way to the top

+1
    I would think of running new posts parallel to the existing posts (6x6 cemented in the ground) and then build a deck over the hoist.
    I am just worried about the added weight of all the wood and people and BBQ's, coolers etc on the original hoist.

I am no engineer but that is just my opinion, I just dont want to see it collapse and hurt someone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information