polaris 1050 slxh revs so far and sounds like it goes in to a safe mode???

Hello there could anyone help with this realy annoying problem, a while back i was on the water with my ski it was going fine then it got a problem, it starts and revs fine but the rev range goes up so far and it sounds like its hitting a rev limiter, since then i have had a look around the engine and noticed my oil pump was knackered, i have replaced the oil pump and the ski still has the problem, i was wondering if this ski has some sort of safe mode or if its something abit more than this, would realy appreciate any help i could get with this

Thanks

Brad

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome back to the Hulk.

Have you downloaded the 1992-1998 Polaris Factory Service Manual?

What model year is your SLXH? 1998?

What RPM does the MFD show when the 'limit' happens?

Is there any message or RED warning lamp on the MFD, like HOT, or Reverse, or Low Fuel?

Is it always limiting at about the same RPM, hot and cold?

Some Polaris models do have an RPM limiter in the CDI. The exact RPM varies from model to model, but most limit at 3500 to 4500 RPM, give or take. I think the SLXH limits at 4500RPM during engine overheat

All have a maximum RPM limiter. On the SLXH it is set at 6800RPM, with a normal peak engine operating RPM of 6400-6500.

What was the problem with the oil pump?
    Was the engine starved for oil?

Have you checked compression on each cylinder?

For diagnostics, the engine overheat sensor has a Tan coloured wire from the sender to the electrical box, and the Grey wire inside the electrical box carries the RPM limit signal to the CDI.

If you disconnect and tape the Grey wire, the RPM limiter is disabled. You can test with it disconnected to see if the RPM problem goes away, but you really should figure out why it is limiting, and fix the source of the problem.

What has been done on this engine since you worked on it last summer?

The MFD is not working so cant tell anything from this which is a pain, the only thing i can think of is the engine got starved of oil when the pump went and it has gone in to a safe mode, the compression on the cylinders are fine, i will give those wire a go today and will get back to you on that 1, is there a safe mode on the ski?? if so what would i do to reset it?

Thanks

Brad

+1
    Hey Brad.Knowing what RPM's the problem happens at would help alot diagnosing the problem.
    The MFD (display) has a fuse inside the electrical box.Try to fix the mfd or get a tach of some kind.
    My service manual shows The limp mode for overheating only.It will hold it to 4500 rpm.I guess about 30 mph.You can not reset it,if it is the problem,you need to fix the cause.Your oil pump has no sensor,if you have no oil at all,the engine wears and blows up.
    Your description is it revs real high,it should run 64-6500 rpm.This would be important so you don't spend unneccessary money.If it is higher,your impeller may be worn or wrong size.
    If it has the problem 5000-6400 rpm it would be some thing completely different.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bradders25 View Post
    The MFD is not working so cant tell anything from this which is a pain,

the only thing i can think of is the engine got starved of oil when the pump went and it has gone in to a safe mode, the compression on the cylinders are fine, i will give those wire a go today and will get back to you on that 1,

is there a safe mode on the ski?? if so what would i do to reset it?...
    There are no sensors related to the oiling system. If there is no oil, the engine runs without oil, until it damages/wears itself too much to run.

Investigate what the problem is with the MFD. It does not have many connections. Make sure it has power (check the 1/4 Amp fuse in the electrical box, replace with same size 0.25 Amp, not a higher current rating), and confirm that the black wire from the MFD harness is properly grounded inside the electrical box.

The Yellow tachometer wire from the stator coil wakes the MFD up when the engine starts rotating, so be sure that is connected to the MFD.

According to the service manual, the only electronic RPM limit happens when the overheat sensor triggers.

Are you testing the RPM problem under power in the water, or on land?

Thread Information