Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

F12x Water damage

hi guys i woke up today at 5 am for a nice spearfishing day , went to the ocean ,catched a couple fish , everything was good till i tried to hop into my ski to come back to realize it was almost filled with water , took all the water out went to the beach , and tried to start it but no luck , i checked the oil level and it is a lot higher , could be water that got there or gas from not burning it??? , any tips , what should i do , take out spark plugs ?? change oil , oil filter , air filter , sparkplugs and pray?? any help with be appreciated , not a good day .......

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I am not a Honda expert, but I think you need to scan some of the water-in-engine threads in the other forums, then immediately work to dry out your engine.

If you have water inside your engine, it will quickly start to rust the bearings and other engine internals. Especially salt water!

Look in your Service Manual for specifics regarding recovering from water ingestion on your particular Honda engine.

The general process is something along these lines;

Remove the spark plugs. Crank the engine. If water spray shoots out of the spark plug holes, you definitely have water inside.

Crank the engine until there is no more water coming out the spark plug holes.

You probably need to remove pieces of the air intake and turbo charger hoses, to remove any water that is inside there.

Plane on changing the engine oil and filter several times, to be sure all the water in the oil is removed. Oil that has some water mixed in often looks milky or whitish.

The key is to act fast. Do not let water, especially salt water, sit inside you engine. Even a few hours is a long time.

If you did have water inside the engine, especially inside the cylinders (water sprayed out the spark plug holes is an indicator of this), you could also have internal engine damage. Water does not compress, so trying to start a wet engine with the spark plugs in place can easily damage a piston or connecting rod.

+1
    Is the oil milky? Did you leave the drain plugs out [many have]. The intercooler might be full of water.
    You might get a leaf blower to dry out the induction system. Be sure to flush the salt out and get the engine running ASAP or it will seize.

put a little oil in each cilinder , moved pistons up and down , put plugs back , vaccumed air intake turbo , changed oil , wasnt milky , hooked the battery to my car ,tried for a couple times , and brummmmmmmmmmm , it started , smoked a bit because the oil , 1 , 2 minutes and was running good , gonna be able to tell more tomorrow , but if nothing happened to it , i will be a honda guy for the rest of my lifee!!!!

yes plugs out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rexzazo View Post
    yes plugs out
    It will be ok. Just coat all of your wiring connectors with CRC heavy duty corrosion block after flushing them with freshwater to remove the salt.

ok engine working but not like it was , it feels like the turbo its not working it goes only up to 50 mph and it does have no acceleration , opened up the air box and it does have some salt cristals , im gonna remove intercooler to clean it up any ideas what could be wrong , changed oil twice and oil filter , turbo is blowing , im gonna check compression , hope its nothing major....

You might want to check the compression because you may have bent one or more connecting rods when you first tried to start it. If you did, the compression will be down... Ron

no compression is good 172 psi
    in all 4 cillinders

+1
    I would install a boost gauge to see if you are getting the full 12.8 PSI at WOT.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information