Michigan Mechanics!!

I have posted several threads now requesting someone in Michigan who is a mechanic to help me with my ski. Living in Michigan I am suprised nobody is looking for some extra work. Must be nice! haha.

If you are in Michigan, and are a certified mechanic, or someone who has rebuilt ski's before, please continue to read...

I have a 2004 RXP with 34 hours on it. Last summer the ski was driven with low oil and has obtained a slight knock. I found very fine metal shavings (and even what appeared to be copper shavings) inside of the oil filter fins.

I need to sell the Ski this coming summer as I am buying a boat. I don't want to sell the ski as is, and take a huge hit. So I am looking to pay for someone to figure out exactly what needs to be replaced, and do the work for me. I have very little time to deal with this, not to mention I am not confident in my mechanical abilities to do the work myself (to this extent)

Please feel free to PM me, or better yet - email me @ [email protected]

Thanks!

You might want to add additional information such as if the ceramic clutch washers were still in the engine when low oil pressure was detected and if the performance had deteriorated during that time. If the washers failed, you may need new oil pumps, crankshaft, rod and main bearings at the minimum. That can't be determined until the engine is pulled and taken apart... Ron

Ron

Ron,

If you are speaking of the supercharger clutch washers, those were replaced by Jerry.

The performance of the ski didn't seem to be affected. The knock was noticible and the shavings indicate some internal issue. I clearly don't know any more than that, or I would be able to fix it myself, without assistance.

I am certain that the engine needs to be pulled to further diagnos the problem, and am more than willing to pay for such service.

You might be lucky and just need rod, crank and thrust bearings. I'm surprised too that no one has emailed you... Ron

question

Just assuming that replacing the rod, bearings and crank would be a very expensive job, wouldn't it be better to just replace the engine? Or would that be significantly more money?

Yeah I can't beleive people arent jumping on the opp to make some money. Clearly this isn't going to be a small/cheap job.

well, how many people on the site are actually from Michigan? I sure haven't seen many...

I would recomend lakeside marie. Call Evan, he is the owner and used to race jetskis, and he won at the world finals. He is just off of haggerty, I drive from Grosse Pointe 45 min away and all my friends go to him too. http://lakesidemarinerepair.com/ Here is his website... tell him Chase sent you, tell him the kid that his jet skis are always broken. Would definalty recomend. Im sure he is dying for work right now.

he has done work on my 04 rxp also as well as my 03 gtx 4 tec and 99 spx

+1
    Just assuming that replacing the rod, bearings and crank would be a very expensive job, wouldn't it be better to just replace the engine? Or would that be significantly more money?

I think he was refering to the rod bearings, crank bearings and thrust bearings. Not the rods or crankshaft. It sounds like you have a rod knocking and the shavings are from a rod bearing. Probably spun a rod bearing, that's my guess. Don't run it anymore or you might end up with a thrown rod.

Thread Information