Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1

What is your opinion of this?

They claim a jet ski can sit in the water and not grow barnacles. I use saltwater mostly. What is your opinion of this system?

"The inflatable In-Water Boat Docking System will block the intake of fresh water to stop and prevent barnacles and/or algae growth. Barnacles and seaweed, just as any other marine organism, need fresh water to survive. Fresh water carries oxygen and nutrients necessary for the normal functioning of any marine organism. This fresh inflow of water also brings new spores of barnacles along with various algae that are deposited into the underwater surface of a boat’s hull, promoting fast growth of undesirable marine life. The Inflatable In-Water Boat Docking System blocks the access of fresh, freely flowing water to your boat hull, and this makes it impossible for undesirable marine life to survive. It is literally personal pool for the boat. Because the boat is inside a closed shield, it is possible to add very small amount of chemicals such as bleach or chlorine that are used to keep pools clean. A couple drops of these chemicals will help to keep the water clean and free of organic matter inside the Boat Docking System."

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The principle sounds reasonable - stale/dead water inside the enclosure, along with some anti-growth chemical, could result in minimal growth on the hull.

I would think it would take more than a 'few drops' of bleach to render the trapped water 'dead', and that bleach would get out every time the boat was launched.

Also, wave action over time could slosh 'fresh' water into the container, so ongoing chemical treatment 'boosts' may be needed to keep the water inside 'dead'.

For a PWC, it seems too big, and would hold a lot of water volume with a 4 foot depth inside a 23 foot x 10 foot space. With a bigger boat, the larger hull displaces more of the enclosed water, so there is less water volume inside to be treated.

It is big enough to even trap fish, since it is left open to the sea while you are out boating...

+1
    Yes, I also realized since I ride in saltwater and live on saltwater this is useless. I would have no way to flush the jet ski. Duh stupid me.

The hull that's inside that inflatable may not get barnacles, but the inflatable will. What's the point?... Ron

+1
    Its just a docking system, the inflatable stays in place. Its not like an addition to the boat

I can see that. How long do you think it will last - a couple of years? A good anti-fouling paint like Micron CSC or equivalent will be much less in the short run... Ron

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    maybe if you get a small pump and pump the water out after you dock...think that, that would do the trick...just my .02

+1
    in the picture the boat is still bottom painted.i think that would work better as a fender system to keep the boat off the sea wall or dock.i think you would still get growth on the boat.i have a jet dock for my skis and am in brackish water and still get alot ao growth on the floats.

+1
    Yeah I don't think I would want this thing, it seems like a good idea for a boat maybe but for a ski way off. I emailed the maker of these things to see what he says about flushing the skis

+1
    even if you could pump most of the water out the ski might sot suffer growth but will still have galvinitic corosion occuring.the fishing boat still has anodes to prevent that but with the jet ski all the aluminum parts become the anode.also the water in fla is like super salt

Thread Information