Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 SPX - worked in the morning, wont work in the afternoon

In a very confusing turn of events, I have a 1995 that suddenly chose to go on strike.

The ski was running fine up until I parked it, went from my dock to my house, and came back 2 hours later and it just had zero spark. The motor turns fines and gives me good compression, but I just have zero spark!

What on earth could be causing this? I understand it possibly dying mid way on the water from a jump or from beating it around, but it worked great until I parked it on the dock, shut it off, and came back two hours later. Any ideas? I checked all the fuses, and they are good!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    check the ground on the bottom of the starter. or you may have to trim back the plug wires and re attach the plug boots.

Ground wire appears to be a okay. It turns over strong, it just lacks spark.
    Im going to just use the front box from my working 95 SPX and see if that fixes it, and from there guess I will have to replace every single part until I can narrow it down. Just had hoped that I could avoid tearing down a working jetski just to fix this damn thing! Is it possible the CDI could just fail out of nowhere?

Going to take incredibly long doing this. noone has had this issue with any other 2 stroke seadoo? it seems like it would be something simple

I had a problem kind of like this on my 92. One day it would have spark and the next day not. Even a couple hours it would have it and not. I messed around with it for about a week, till i rulled everything out except MPEM.

Replaced the MPEM and worked great. Try it in a couple hours and see if has spark again.

Also, could be a bad ground wire in the box or kill switch is stuck in?

GL - spark problems suck...

dean

I just really hate to rip apart a great condition working 95 SPX just to fix this one. But if its the only way to locate exactly what is wrong and replace it, than say be it.

I missed out on a 95 SPX front electronics box for $45 + shipping on ebay the other day! If only this happened a week earlier! :P

+1
    check your battery. it needs to have 12.5V. if it is low at all, you will not get spark. it will still crank OK, but no spark. we see this quite often.

zig

Battery seems fine, and I just used a new battery I have that works in my 96 SPX. Absolutely nothing. I'm just going to swap out the front electronics and see if that fixes it, and narrow it down from there.

Do you have any 657X parts in stock?

+1
    Check continuity/resistance of the magneto coil behind the flywheel. Sometimes the pins in the connector on the mag cover get corroded or you may have a broken wire or open coil on the magneto. I have seen the wire holder come off and the flywheel rub through the wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Check continuity/resistance of the magneto coil behind the flywheel. Sometimes the pins in the connector on the mag cover get corroded or you may have a broken wire or open coil on the magneto. I have seen the wire holder come off and the flywheel rub through the wiring.

Ive read about this, and right now its a bit beyond my understanding. If the ski doesn't fire up and run right with a new front electrical box, then this is my next culprit. How much would I be looking at spending for a new ( re:used off a parted ski! ) magneto coil?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information