Enclosed Trailer Question

I am in the market to buy a standup (Superjet) and a sit down (RXP, maybe).

I would like to see if there is an enclosed trailer setup whereby I can use it haul these skis, but also when needed, haul my bikes (Harleys).

In other words, I would like to have one trailer that could pull double duty, in some cases, load the skis and hit the beach or in other instances, load the bikes.

I am wondering if there are some of you who have managed to find an enclosed trailer that can pull double duty like this.

I have a number of questions about how to go about loading and unloading the skis with this setup etc.

Anything you can do to help me would be greatly appreciated!

Midlothian, Texas
    I do not have an enclosed set up but the thought has crossed my mind.

Here is what I would do.
    I would look into getting a shop stand for each ski. Rig them up so you can easily remove and then reinstall the casters. Once the casters are off, you will have to secure the stand to the inside of the trailer where it can't move. I would think you could make some feet to mount in the trailer by welding some plate to a short piece of square tubing and drill a hole throught the tubing so you can insert a removable pin. You can rig up your casters in this same fashion. You can then slide the plate and tubing bracket, "feet" over the bottom of the legs of the stand and drill matching holes to corrisond with the feet. Insert your pin, figure out where to set the stands in the trailer, then mount your feet to the floor of the trailer. If there are no trailer frame rails under the floor where you intend on mounting the feet, you might look at installing metal braces in the sub frame that you can attach the feet to. You then use the trailer floor kleets to secure straps to the skis so they can not move around.
    The good side of this is that you can use the stands in your garage to keep the skis on while you have the bike in the trailer.

As for loading the skis on and off of the stands, in and out of the trailer at home or at the beech, get you one of these.

I have never used one but they look like they would work very well.

This worked real well in my head so let me knof if it does not make since.
    Good luck and welcome to Greenhulk.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Were you thinking that the enclosed trailer would actually go down the launch ramp, submerge the flooring, and launch the skis from inside the enclosed trailer?

That would be a lot of water inside the trailer, and it might take a long time to dry out. Wood flooring in the trailer might rot over time from repeated dunkings.

Enclosed trailers might not have water proof wheel bearings and lights like marine trailers.

Thanks for all the feedback. After thinking about it, I am going to go for a regular jet ski trailer.

Show Me State -STL
    Yea I went the opposite way of your idea and converted a 97 Shorelander single trailer into a motorcycle hauls my 05 Yamaha R6 great! Even made a ramp to get the bike up on it, that attaches to the trailer. Getting ready to repaint it and im probably going to sell since I bought an enclosed trailer.

Escondido, Ca.
    I motified my two place trailer like this. It holds my RXP and my dirt bike or street bike at the same time, or can be converted to a flat bed in just minutes. It's also really nice to be able to work on the ski while standing on the trailer. I used trailer hitch reciever stock welded to the trailer, and then 2" tubing slides into that and is pinned. Just pull the pins and remove the bunks. The wheel chock uses four thumb screws that secure the chock to a mounting plate and is removed just as easy. All has been working well for me.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp43008010.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	812.0 KB 
ID:	118471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp43008027.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	856.6 KB 
ID:	118472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp43008007.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	118473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp43008030.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	819.8 KB 
ID:	118474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp43008031.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	814.3 KB 
ID:	118475  

Looks great nice job

Also what kind of pipe is that? you made it?

Escondido, Ca.
    Quote Originally Posted by magna View Post
    Also what kind of pipe is that? you made it?
    I have'nt been to this thread for awhile. The square tube that is welded to the trailer is hitch receiver stock, and then it's just standard two in. tube that slides into it; and thank you. I am a self taught hack welder (mig) and have to resort an angle grinder periodically to get my welds to look acceptibale, but I enjoy trying, and slowly getting better at it. The trailer works very well and I really like being able to walk around on the deck and work on the ski.

Thread Information