Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jet Jon project

Jet Jon project

Not sure if this is where I should put this, but I figured I would start here.
    I have a mid 90's Kawasaki 650sx engine installed on a jon boat that I got from someone. I need to get her tuned up, but unfortunately I don't know alot about jet ski's.

I don't even know where to start but I guess I will list some symptoms.
    Last time I took her out she would run strong for 15 seconds then totally bog out and stop running unless I quickly let out on the throttle. there is an electric fuel pump installed on it.
    I am not sure how fast the boat should run, but it hasn't seem like it runs as well as it should. When pulling the throttle it stops accelerating at about 1/3rd throttle and never goes any faster.

Any suggestions would be awesome. I probably need to find someone who knows what they are doing to take a look.
    I live in Jacksonville, FL if anyone knows someone who would be willing to help me out.
    Thanks in advance!
    Patrick

+1
    A jon boat. I would suggest driving north till you find some rednecks Seriously, there are plenty of folks down in Fl that will help you out

Welcome to the Green Hulk!!!

Pull the spark plugs and look at the color of the electrode. This will be an indication of the fuel mixture. Sounds like it's running out of fuel.

What fuel/oil ratio are you running?

Post up some pictures when you get a chance.

Hey thanks axgrider73,
    I recently replaced the plugs but if I remember correctly the tips of the old plugs were black. Fuel/oil ratio I was told to use is 40:1. Again, unfortunately I have minimal knowledge so that may be off-but that's why I am here right!
    I will post some pics when I get a chance.

How difficult is cleaning the carbs on one of these Kawasaki engines? I've never done it before but can follow directions pretty well!

Hunt around and see if you can find a manual. You should be able to find a free pdf version some where.

There not real bad if you have some mechanical ability.

+1

Hey Ax

Its a 2stroke Pat....If it runs its not the motor. Its something in the carbs right Ax I am having the same problems and these guys have been spot on. I have 3 to do......I am going to take pics and do one at a time.

Haha, then I guess that helps narrow it down! I will see if I can find the manual info somewhere, should be able to find it.
    The last I checked one of the plugs didn't spark, but one did. Perhaps the one with lack of spark was just a smaller spark? Is it possible that the engine can run with only one of the plugs getting a spark?

Quote Originally Posted by pat8839 View Post
    Is it possible that the engine can run with only one of the plugs getting a spark?
    Yes.

Do you know if your enginge has the screw on plug boots? If so, take the boot off, trim 1/4" off of the plug wire and put the boot back on. Then retest for spark.

If that doesn't work, it will be time to go through the rest of the ignition system.

Keep up posted.

I have actually recently trimmed back some of the plug wire and some brittle wire underneathe but was able to safely cut back enough to find good wire. Still didn't see a good spark on one of the plugs-however the tips of both spark plugs are the same color after being run a few times which to me would be evidence that both plugs were firing (But then again what do I know!!)

I have some pics but don't know how to put them on here. I guess I have to upload them elsewhere and put a link on here for them?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information