+1

Need Help with painting my GPR

Guys I had to epoxy a couple of holes in the bottom and fill a bunch of rock chips and stuff On the bottom of my hull. My question is I have some small pin holes in the marine tex. So what do I fill that with and then what type of primer do I use?
    This is all i have to do to paint it and start the motor install, so any help would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    Guys I had to epoxy a couple of holes in the bottom and fill a bunch of rock chips and stuff On the bottom of my hull. My question is I have some small pin holes in the marine tex. So what do I fill that with and then what type of primer do I use?
    This is all i have to do to paint it and start the motor install, so any help would be awesome.

if IT wrere me id put a very thin skin coat of glass on and if these areas of damage from rocks id rino line a strip on the lower hull.I did this and i beach mine alot with rocks in the area and 2 years not a issue at all .no drag on the ski .and holds up awesome..

+1
    ? Glass? I bought this ski like this. I do not beach my ski's at all, so no need for Rhino linner. I just want a perfect gloss black bottom.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by icerat4 View Post
    if IT wrere me id put a very thin skin coat of glass on and if these areas of damage from rocks id rino line a strip on the lower hull.I did this and i beach mine alot with rocks in the area and 2 years not a issue at all .no drag on the ski .and holds up awesome..
    he can't do glass because the ski is SMC

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    Get some automotive putty coat or plastic filler and use a razor blade to put a tight wipe on them if its not a big area. Then sand it smooth. As far as primer, an epoxy would be the best but I have never had any issues using urethane either.

colorrite has different options for touch-up paint
    http://www.colorrite.com/product/yam...a-ssa-1787.cfm
    also i've heard most use marine-tex to fill chips but i'm sure bodyfiller will hold also

but, i have not used colorrite products yet maybe someone else can chime in on its color match and ease of use!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoad View Post
    he can't do glass because the ski is SMC
    yep
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkriver View Post
    colorrite has different options for touch-up paint
    http://www.colorrite.com/product/yam...a-ssa-1787.cfm
    also i've heard most use marine-tex to fill chips but i'm sure bodyfiller will hold also

but, i have not used colorrite products yet maybe someone else can chime in on its color match and ease of use!
    agree, most of us GPR guys use Marine Tex on the hull for chip repair damage

http://www.marinetex.com/

Thumbs up pin holes...

for "large " pinholes fill w/marine tex only, rule of thumb-if primer won't fill pin hole, marine tex; then block sand, primer and block sand...

You can use automotive polyester putty, works great. It comes in a quart plastic squeze container, just squeze out and then mix in the hardener. I filled gouges on the bottom of my GPR with it and never had a problem without even painting it. It sands very easy which is a big plus. You want to prime it with an automotive urethane 2 part primer. Then paint with an automotive urethane enamel.

Thread Information