do i need to replace my hull inserts?

sorry if you've seen me ask this on another forum.

i had 2 of the hull inserts (both the rearmost inserts for the ride plate) spin in their little mounts. i was able to remove all the exhaust components and put a vice on the top of the insert and remove the bolts. the other inserts are fine. i've already packed my pump shoe, put on a new intake grate and replaced the impeller.

my question is - do i have to fight to get all the green epoxy out and then gind down the mounts flush and use an aftermarket bar or can i just use the hull inserts that are there and use the vice grip to install the rear most bolts with loctite? i don't want to be lazy/cheap, but if there is no danger and i can get the bolts torqued properly using a vice on the inside am i in danger of hurting anything. the bottom of the insert is fine with no cracks or damage to the hull. all that happened is that the mounts spun in their little hexagonal seats.

thanks.

+1
    you may as well fix it right, take the old inserts off and get a set off aftermarket inserts

the yamaha epoxy will actually come off - you can try knocking it off with a screw driver and a hammer - or others have taken a grinder to it

whatever you install you have to get an epoxy that is deigned to be used with smc - go to an autobody supply house and get some 2 part epoxy designed to be used with SMC components

+1
    Phillip is correct, do them all while there. You can go aftermarket, or order from an 04+ GPR for 1 piece per side ride plate inserts.

You may also want to look at the pump shoe inserts too, as they are prone to pull through the hull... then you can sink.

Marine tex works fine if you have to fill in any voids, and 5200fc will secure them to the hull

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Phillip is correct, do them all while there. You can go aftermarket, or order from an 04+ GPR for 1 piece per side ride plate inserts.

You may also want to look at the pump shoe inserts too, as they are prone to pull through the hull... then you can sink.

Marine tex works fine if you have to fill in any voids, and 5200fc will secure them to the hull
    +1 nice info guys
    i have the same problem

thanks for the replies. i managed to get all the goo off the ride plate inserts and get them ground down. this was tough on my xlt. i can't imagine how much fun it would be on a gpr.

i'm going to leave the pump shoe/intake grate hull inserts alone. i've already done the PPK and reinstalled the pump shoe and new R&D intake grate. now i've just got to wait for Island Racing to ship my brackets for my ride plate. i used a heat gun ($9.99 at harbor freight) to help but i never got them to come off in one big piece like i saw when i searched this forum about this topic.

i think the pump shoe inserts are fine. i think i over torqued one of the inserts on the pump shoe just a bit and it will round the hull area if i try to tighten or loosen it. the rest seemed to take the torquing ok, though i couldn't get close to what is called for in the manual (17 N m). i used blue loctite with all of the bolts. it should hold just fine.

now all i have to do is pull the exhaust and rebuild the carbs and the yama is ready for summer.

a little warning !!!

BEWARE......USE EXTREME CAUTION !!!!!

I got stuck in the back of our 99'xlt trying/doing the insert repairs....

MAKE SURE YOUR NOT CLOSTERPHOBIC BEFORE ATTEMPTHING THIS !!!

And I know for sure that your wife won't here you if your screaming your lungs out inside the ski!!!!

Glad thats over!!!!!

+1
    +1
    yea i almost got stuck too will gettin them out
    im gettin too fat

Thread Information