Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

waveventure locked up

Hi, i have a 1997 waveventure which is two cylinder. I was told it was running 4 months ago......I believe it was put away wet and not maintained very well. When i go to start it it clunks and you can see that something is bound up. I was going to remove the pump and the bolds felt like they were froze in place. 'Fraid i was going to bust them so i laid off. I pulled the heads expecting to see a bound piston and all apears good. Are there any tricks to getting the pump off. and should i be looking for a stuck bendix? Can i run the starter backwards. like by hooking up reverse poles to battery. and would that tell me anything?
    Thanks for any suggestions
    Rich
    Btw,,,,i also have a 95 wave venture also. This one just needs the carbs rebuilt so far...... Are there any major differences between these two . Rich

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by desertmariner View Post
    Hi, i have a 1997 waveventure which is two cylinder. I was told it was running 4 months ago......I believe it was put away wet and not maintained very well. When i go to start it it clunks and you can see that something is bound up. I was going to remove the pump and the bolds felt like they were froze in place. 'Fraid i was going to bust them so i laid off. I pulled the heads expecting to see a bound piston and all apears good. Are there any tricks to getting the pump off. and should i be looking for a stuck bendix? Can i run the starter backwards. like by hooking up reverse poles to battery. and would that tell me anything?
    Thanks for any suggestions
    Rich
    Btw,,,,i also have a 95 wave venture also. This one just needs the carbs rebuilt so far...... Are there any major differences between these two . Rich

You can easily move the engine forward in 20 minutes and see if the pump is free. That's the route I would take if you feel like it's the pump. No you don't want to run the thing backwards...and if in fact it is frozen up.....you want to pull it apart anyways!

M

seeing that your in FL I am going to assume the ski was run in salt water. Because of the age of the ski its possible that the pump liner has swelled causing the prop to stick. Its also very possible that the mid shaft is seized. Remove the pump first, it is easier to remove the pump then move the engine forward. After you have removed the pump see if you can spin the driveshaft. If the driveshaft does spin then move your motor forward and see if you can spin the mid shaft. If the midshaft spins then you know its a motor problem. Below is a link for you to find a service manual for you to see how to remove the pump.

Manuals provided by RX951 http://www.mediafire.com/ServiceManuals

+1
    good stuff jonny b
    i have that same ski
    and let me tell you i had the whole pump out and i would suggest buying a new housing with a plastic wear ring and a solas concord prop. thats all the mods i have and the ski has so much more acceleration.

+1
    I have to disagree here....note the following quote

"I was going to remove the pump and the bolds felt like they were froze in place."

It's easier to simply move the engine forward then to jack with bolts that could leave him chaning inserts at ths time. It's not like he's pulling the engine....simply moving it forward!

M

good advice and info
    thanks
    I looked at the ski today with the idea of moving it forward. Looks like disconnect the exhaust and four motor pad bolts.Pick up slightly and move it forward. Sound about right?
    I'll have to go after the pump end of things soon enough. I'm inclined to use a torch (heat) on the threaded portion of the long bolts to unsieze from the housing. Is this a good idea.
    It was cold here in Stuart florida. You guys up north must be Tundrasized.
    Rich

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by desertmariner View Post
    good advice and info
    thanks
    I looked at the ski today with the idea of moving it forward. Looks like disconnect the exhaust and four motor pad bolts.Pick up slightly and move it forward. Sound about right?
    I'll have to go after the pump end of things soon enough. I'm inclined to use a torch (heat) on the threaded portion of the long bolts to unsieze from the housing. Is this a good idea.
    It was cold here in Stuart florida. You guys up north must be Tundrasized.
    Rich

Yep...that's it...just undo the one clamp on your exhaust...4 12mm engine bolts..and slide it enough forward to turn the pump with your hand!

M

I tried to open the file for the waveventure and my computer would let me. I don't have zip. Any other way to skin this cat.

+1
    Download WINZIP for free....and use the "Trial" section.

M

try putting a little oil by the prop and rolling the engine that might work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information