Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cavitation - 03 FX

I have a 2003 FX Cruiser that I picked up last year. It has had a cavitation problem since the first day I put it in the water. If you go full throttle from a dead stop and will never plane out. You have to feather it from a stop. It will just keep spinning the impeller. Is this common on this model? I have not had a chance to take a look at the impeller to see if it is damaged but I plan to in a few weeks.

I got an 05 and I don't have that problem. You need to inspect your impeller.

+1
    You need to check the wear ring clearence also. Keep in mind impros will do a core exchange on the prop (about $50).

My 2004 FXHO started doing that at 200hrs. I spent over $800 to replace the pump/impeller and wear ring (which is actually part of the pump housing) and the problem was still there.

Turns out there was a 1inch wide piece of felt on the rear of the intake grate where it mates to the hull that had blown out. A healthy application of RTV and a piece of felt weather stripping from Sears solved the problem for pennies.

Hope this helps.

My 200hrs 03fx cruiser pretty much did the same....

Removal of the jet unit showed that the liner had been compromised by a build up of salt crystals from using always in the sea.
    This meant parts of the liner was raised (away from jet unit towards the impeller) and the impeller losing its tips over time until it fitted nicely on the raised parts and left excessive gaps around the rest.

Replaced impeller and jet unit - problem gone

Hope this info is of use!

+1
    Neal

First thing to do is check the impeller for damage...flashlight shone through the nozzle should give you a good indication. Next pull the grate & check the impeller to liner clearance.....should be quite tight....0.35-0.45mm (0.0138-0.0177) & take it from there.
    As well as sand, gravel & evan stones going through the pump to cause damage, what mark describes is quite common. Salt water can get inbetween the liner & casing, causing the liner to blister or swell by galvanic action, creating a high point which wears away the impeller blades.

+1
    Pump seal kit?

Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    Pump seal kit?
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I saw the pump seal kit today on Riva's site. Might try it out. I figured since they offer this kit for the FX this must be a pretty common problem.

Should have mentioned more about the ski. Bought it from my older uncle who pruchased it new in 2003. Purchased with 38 hrs and currently has about 44. Has never been in salt water so I can cross that out.

I have my seadoo tore apart right now adding a bunch of upgrades. I will have to go pick up the Yamaha and give it a good inspection and go from there? Am I reading right where you guys are saying you can't replace the wear ring?!?! The seadoos pop right out! You have to replace the whole pump??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by neal300zx View Post
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I saw the pump seal kit today on Riva's site. Might try it out. I figured since they offer this kit for the FX this must be a pretty common problem.
    Worked well on the SUV I used to have, and on my SHO that I currently have both being brand new. That being said, I would heed the other suggestions posted on this thread.

Let us know how things works out.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    Worked well on the SUV I used to have, and on my SHO that I currently have both being brand new. That being said, I would heed the other suggestions posted on this thread.

Let us know how things works out.
    Will inspect and let you guys know. Will take some pics while I am in there looking around to see what you think. Will probably pickup the pumpseal kit when I place my next order from Jerry. Anything less than $100 ski related feels like a bargin!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information