Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

'95 SL750....Is this a good deal?

I have a chance to buy an SL750 and I'm wondering if it's a good deal. The owner says it has a freshly done reman engine (SBT maybe ) that has yet to be fired up. It's setting in the hull but hasn't been bolted up yet. All the parts are there and just needs to be buttoned up. He has the MFD but rub rails and a few other pieces are MIA.

He's asking $500 for the ski with no trailer. Does this sound like a decent deal for a 2-seater to add to my stable?

KJ

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Any warranty on that rebuilt engine?

In part it depends on whether all the little parts are present, and how comfortable you will be putting it back together.

Do you know if things like the carbs were also rebuilt?

Depending on how long it has been sitting, and the condition of everything, you may have some work to do cleaning out the fuel tank, replacing the hoses, upgrading the fuel pump, cleaning the hull interior, and so on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Any warranty on that rebuilt engine?

In part it depends on whether all the little parts are present, and how comfortable you will be putting it back together.

Do you know if things like the carbs were also rebuilt?

Depending on how long it has been sitting, and the condition of everything, you may have some work to do cleaning out the fuel tank, replacing the hoses, upgrading the fuel pump, cleaning the hull interior, and so on.
    I don't know about any remaining warranty on the engine. There could be, but I didn't think to ask the owner about that. I didn't ask the owner what happened to the original engine. I was just thinking if it had a reman in there I really didn't need to worry about it what caused the original to fail.....aside from going through the carbs, hoses, and other usual suspects.

Carbs: At minimum I was planning to run through those myself just to be sure they are tip top. I was also thinking of trying to locate a set of 780 carbs so I wouldn't have to do all the re-plumbing for a tipple outlet fuel pump. Oh, and the tripple outlet fuel pump would be upgrade #1.

Reassembling humpty dumpty? : That's not a problem at all. I've had my SLT780 apart 3 different times. I've become pretty familiar with the Polaris peices and parts, that's why I've been searching for an SL as the two-seat model to add to my current 3-seater. I could have looked for other brands, but my familiarity with Polaris skis means there's that much less I need to learn. Yeah I know it's an old ski and there were some common problems with these but I see this as a bonus. All of the problems on these skis are well documented so they should be easy to track down and remedy from the start.

Hoses etc.: I planned to rework all those and address the petcock issue while I'm at it.

At first glance $500 doesn't seem too bad. But I just wanted to get some confirmation before I plunk down the cash for a non-running but all there ski.

KJ

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    If the motor is a good rebuild and holds up,nice deal, If it comes apart with a bad crank.......Save your money on buying another set of carbs. The rerouting for a tripple outlet pump is simple,and all the info of it is here. If it's a SBT motor,Do you feel lucky Punk?

I agree about the SBT engine not being the best idea for a reman. But you're stuck with it.

Two other things to keep in mind:

1- If the engine was sitting for a long while, maybe some rust might have developed internally. Again, ask about the warranty. If no warranty, maybe pull a jug to have a look??

2-If the ski has a no spark condition, it could be a pain in the ass and expensive to fix. Stator, cdi, harness, etc

3-Before you buy, maybe find a way to power up the mfd. If you find the ski is a lemon and want to get rid of it, the MFD could fetch half the price of the ski if working.

I picked up a 95 SL750 in pieces for $250CDN (But that was a deal of a liftime) Nothing was wrong (even the mfd was A+), the guy decided to rebuild the ski from scratch, pulled EVERYTHING apart and then got fed up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    If the motor is a good rebuild and holds up,nice deal, If it comes apart with a bad crank.......Save your money on buying another set of carbs. The rerouting for a tripple outlet pump is simple,and all the info of it is here. If it's a SBT motor,Do you feel lucky Punk?
    I guess I'm a punk The motor in my SLT780 is an SBT reman that I installed in 2006. Of course being the idiot newbie that I am (was) I didn't have the carbs quite right and I toasted the PTO piston and had to do a top end job last year. Thus the reason that I've become experienced in working on Polaris skis.

I know SBT doesn't have a stellar reputation. However, I don't intend to put on tipple pipes or any performance mods on this ski. My biggest desire is to get a 2-seater (with trim) so I can carve it up and get a little more gnarly than I can with my SLT. I figure it might be an okay deal if the engine holds pressure and the compression is alright.

After 5 years of PWC ownership, and the knowledge of the good folks here, I've come to better understand the quality (or lack thereof) of SBT engines. My personal experience is that they run okay, they aren't power monsters, and it's definitely not a motor you want to hop up with mods and expect it to live a long life. However, I'm thinking that the reman alone, if purchased from SBT, costs $900 plus shipping. So if I can get a complete ski with a fresh engine for $500 that's probably not all that bad. Even if I were to tear down the engine and run through it I'd possibly be better off than buying one with a blown motor and rebuilding.

Rob,
    You (and others) have brought up some good questions regarding the electronics. I guess I need to email the seller and get more information before I make the 2 1/2 hour trip to look at the ski. I have the battery out of my SLT on the workbench and fully charged so I could take that with me and test the MFD before making the purchase.

Please keep the info coming.

KJ

+1
    So I was talking with a co-worker this afternoon about this 750 deal. I knew he had an SL750 but I thought he was going to sell it to a buddy that helps him work on it. Long story short, he thinks the buddy is going to fizzle out on him but he still wants to sell the ski. He said he wants $500, it's complete, and it had a new motor last year. I think this was also an SBT reman, but I'll need to follow up on that info.

He says it's a '92 or '93 model. I seem to recall some quirks regarding cooling water flow on early SL's but I can't remember exactly what it was. So, given the model year, does it seem like a decent deal for this ski? Some nice advantages are it's local, it's complete, and it comes with the trailer (the other doesn't). I would really need to track down a 2-place trailer and sell the two singles, but that's another time.

So, whadda ya guys think of this deal?

KJ

$500 for a running ski with a trailer is amazing. Do a compression test to see if the motor is still healthy. Test drive if possible. Don't know about and specific cooling issues. Most people tend to junk the thermostat. Also make sure to clean the water filter screen in the exhaust pipe.

You could always offer the other guy $250 and get the other one for parts You could sell the MFD and make almost all your money back

+1
    It can't be a '92 unless he did a motor swap, the 750 wasn't introduced until 1993; cooling was only whacky on the early '92s.

If it is a '92, there are quite a few things to be aware of, but find out before we bombard you with info you may not need!

I have been following your thread for a few days, and honestly I thought a hull with a motor sitting in it isn't worth $500. Unless you don't value your time. $500 for a good running ski, however, is a very good deal!

I got a '92 for free, and I'm certain I lost money on it....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    It can't be a '92 unless he did a motor swap, the 750 wasn't introduced until 1993; cooling was only whacky on the early '92s.
    ......honestly I thought a hull with a motor sitting in it isn't worth $500. Unless you don't value your time. $500 for a good running ski, however, is a very good deal!
    I know his ski is a 750, so I guess that puts me in the clear for any seriously odd ball stuff.

I was just trying to get a 2-seater for the cheapest price. But, $500 for a complete, running ski and trailer vs. a ski that needs to be assembled......I think I'll probably go with the '93. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything goofy with that model before I made a decision.

KJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information