Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cold weather and cold water versus speed?

Down here in Tampa Bay, water in the summer is 88 degrees and the air temp is 92 degrees. Now the water temp is 60 degrees and the air temp is 68 degrees. I seem to go faster with warm air and water versus cold water and air. About 4 mph I would guess. Is this correct?

Your absolutely right. I ride an RXP1500 and last feb water was 62, air 60. Two of us the same ski gps'd 69.8. by June water 73 air 98. I was doggin' at 67.2. The cold water molocules are heavy and dense making you more boyant and your boat slides across easier just like running thru sand versus pavement
    Im going out now and it's a little breezy so maybe I can get a wind aided 70. Although I doubt it got a nicked prop.

Yes, it will go faster in the cold (cold air is more dense than warm air). But I don't think you are going quite 4 mph faster because of this. Maybe 2 mph more . . . . perhaps 3? you could validate this for yourself with a GPS; and let us know! jb

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
    Down here in Tampa Bay, water in the summer is 88 degrees and the air temp is 92 degrees. Now the water temp is 60 degrees and the air temp is 68 degrees. I seem to go faster with warm air and water versus cold water and air. About 4 mph I would guess. Is this correct?

He's saying that he goes faster with warm air and water tho??? Kevan, something else must be up. you should be going faster in the cold vs the warm

Quote Originally Posted by benjahw View Post
    He's saying that he goes faster with warm air and water tho??? Kevan, something else must be up. you should be going faster in the cold vs the warm
    +1

Faster in cold

Yes that is what I thought. Ok 2 or 3 mph on speedo. Ski runs hard like it always does but I noticed I wasn't pegging 70 mph on speedo any more. Maybe 67 or 68 mph. Replaced plugs recently. Have 70 hours on ski.

please use gps and retest. cold and hot weather

+1
    You should always be running faster in cold air & cold water. More air due to density. Cooler water means cooler air coming out of the SC. You will be developing more HP due to these factors. This equates to higher rpms & higher mph if the boat is running right.

Also, from my experience (which is only 1 year ), I always go the fastest on my first WOT run of the day. Probably because the engine isn't hot and the water is coolest at first. I usually hit high 66, maybe bleep low 67's at times, then back down to 64-65 after 10-20 mins once the engine gets warmer.

+1
    As was mentioned... the stock speedo is not going to work for you.

Get a GPS and restart your calculations. If all you've used is the speedo, EVEN as a reference, you really don't have any good data.

Might as well learn now about weather conditions, and start planning how to tell if your data is weather or mod related... and YES, I've seen over 5mph between a hot summer day, and a cold ass January morning. 5mph is nothing...

http://www.hydrotoys.com/wavs/pda-de...a-denscalc.htm

...and I fill in the blanks from both a weather site, and usually double check it with a local gauge.
    http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...y.asp?ID=MMAGU

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information