Question Annual Maintenance Costs - Saltwater

I am looking to buy my first PWC. My research has pointed me to the Yamaha 3 seaters.

While I can figure out which options, etc. from the various reviews and comments, I have not been able to locate any information on cost of ownership. Specifically I am interested in annual maintenance costs in a saltwater environment.

Most of my riding will take place in the Boca Ciega Bay, Tampa Bay, and the Gulf of Mexico. The craft will be on a boat lift in a slip.

I am interested in using it, not spending all of my time maintaining it, but I realize that there is a certain amount of basic maintenance that must be done. The question is what, how often, and how much will it cost?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

+1
    First, welcome to the forums.
    With that being said your probably not going to find to many specifics on cost of ownership around the boards because most of us don't even look at cost of ownership with fear of wanting to jump off a bridge. It's a hobby, and like most hobbies it's similar to just flushing money down the toilet.. But we all love it most times and for me personally, is a break from reality. A lot of that cost really depends on if your going to do it yourself or have the work done by an indy or the dealer. Costs differences between those 3 are HUGE.

Now, if your looking for a low maintenance yami to tool around on you can't go wrong with any of the VX models. They are about as easy to maintain and probably going to be the easiest on your wallet. Figure the VX110 is what most rental companies are using these days and they rack up hundreds of hours of use on them with very little attention.
    However, the low cost and low maintenance comes with a price too... A performance price... Like anything else it's totally give an take..
    Good Luck and ride safe!
    Doug

+1
    Welcome to GH.

I agree with drewnj, but will add this. After you get done running in salt, wash down with salt away and copius amounts of fresh water. Dry things off and use silicone the crap out of the metal parts (or use your favorite protectant).

This goes for any brand ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    Welcome to GH.

I agree with drewnj, but will add this. After you get done running in salt, wash down with salt away and copius amounts of fresh water. Dry things off and use silicone the crap out of the metal parts (or use your favorite protectant).

This goes for any brand ski.
    +1 and on the way back to the ranch stop at a fresh water lake to clean out the salt! Double the protection!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by L Carlson View Post
    +1 and on the way back to the ranch stop at a fresh water lake to clean out the salt! Double the protection!
    Definitely good advice Lee, but he did say that he was keeping it on boat life in a slip.

+1
    Welcome to the forum Joe!

Lots of good advice on here, & if you can't find it don't be afraid to ask.

You have made a good choice going for a yammi.....I would stick my neck out & say they are the best brand for salt water use, they are built to be used in saltwater!
    The VX was mentioned above for ease of maintenance, but the FXHO (including the 09 na FXHO) is just as easy to maintain with only minimal extra requirements.
    The key to a reliable ski (& low repair bills) is regular maintenance & a good wash down after every ride, also keeping everything covered with water repellent (CRC, fluidfilm etc). I use GT85.......everything gets covered after a wash down....engine, rear compartment, pump & shaft, ride plate etc.....as I said, everything!
    140 hrs on my FXHO & still looks almost like new. I do all the work myself, & this is the key to keeping the cost down. You will need a few basic tools, a good torque wrench & an oil extractor. Oil was changed at 10 hrs then every 40-50hrs, filters are cheap so it gets changed every oil change. Plugs changed yearly & am still on my first tube of grease. I would say that I have spent under $300 in service parts in two years. Also don't forget to factor in insurance & fuel costs.

Thread Information