Thread: VX110 Impeller

VX110 Impeller

Great thread I read here earlier on a Solas 18/24 impeller on a Yama VX110. It got me to think’n maybe I could get a little more info. from you experts.

Bought new, pair of 2006 VX110’s. Just under 300hrs. on each, I do all basic maintenance & winterizing. No mods. done at all. I run these on inland lakes, never salt. Units run great… but one lost 4-5mph early last season. That unit has a couple minor impeller dents/chips which I’m told would make the difference in mph and makes sense to me as nothing else seems mechanically wrong.

I now plan on ordering the 18/22 & impeller tool from 4-tec performance (unless you all advise me different on pitch or company to buy from) but I’m not finding any removal/install directions… is this because this install is that easy??? During install, do I need to worry about knock’n anything out of alignment (yes, I’m a newbie on this)?

At 300 hrs. per unit… should I take these to a shop for anything? I have no problem spending for maintenance and religiously do the basic stuff with OEM parts only… but these things just perform flawlessly (impeller exception) so I’ve yet to return to the shop for anything.

ANY suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

BTW... a little football talk/trash is always welcome!

+1
    Welcome to the forum CL. Attached is a service manual for your ski. A 4-5 mph loss seems like more than a dinged impeller unless its really chewed up. With that many hours you might need some top end work. You can find the recommended maintenance schedule in the manual.

+1
    Sorry, it won't let me upload it. Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zmxltw5my0y

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Welcome to the forum CL. Attached is a service manual for your ski. A 4-5 mph loss seems like more than a dinged impeller unless its really chewed up. With that many hours you might need some top end work. You can find the recommended maintenance schedule in the manual.
    4-5mph loss might be a little high.?. impeller isn't in bad shape unless I find more once I remove it. Nothing that I know of (not familiar w/these engines) to indicate top-end problem... easy start, consist idle/acceleration, no oil loss/burn and replaced plugs twice with nothing unusual there either. I'll try the impeller first and go from there.

Is the download the service manual???

Last but certainly not least... Big Time Thanks for the links. Awesome Stuff!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
    4-5mph loss might be a little high.?. impeller isn't in bad shape unless I find more once I remove it. Nothing that I know of (not familiar w/these engines) to indicate top-end problem... easy start, consist idle/acceleration, no oil loss/burn and replaced plugs twice with nothing unusual there either. I'll try the impeller first and go from there.

Is the download the service manual???

Last but certainly not least... Big Time Thanks for the links. Awesome Stuff!!!
    You're welcome, yes the second link is the svc manual. I don't know how many changes Yamaha has made on the VX's over its production life...I think the manual is from '05. While you have the pump out check out your wear ring(manual should have clearance specs) & pump. Go Steelers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Go Steelers!!!
    ... all this... and a Steelers fan! I like this place!!!

Thread Information