Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillsborough, North Carolina
    Posts
    141

    Reed Valve Inspection

    Hi Yall!

    I have just pulled our 99'xlt apart to do some mods and pulled the reeds but not really sure what or how to inspect. I see some burnt areas on the center rack (#2) but this engine was running smoothly b-4... Just want to know more.... Can anybody direct me to the proper thread search?

    Thanks, Ray.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillsborough, North Carolina
    Posts
    141
    Hi yalll again...
    I just found the 07' post by "water-woody" and re'inforced what I already basically knew about them. But I'd really like someone to post some pic's reguarding what to look for when they're good, bad or just ugly...
    Thanks,
    Ray

  3. #3
    Moderator DrewNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Marlton, NJ
    Posts
    3,716
    +1
    1
    Here's a pic of some 1200 reeds I pulled a few months ago. Notice the burnt edges along the petals. There was enough burning that the fiberglass was beginning to fray. Also if you hold them up to the light and look through them you can see how they don't seal closed.
    Hope this helps.
    Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BurntReeds.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	113735  

  4. #4
    yz450f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    657
    +1
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Here's a pic of some 1200 reeds I pulled a few months ago. Notice the burnt edges along the petals. There was enough burning that the fiberglass was beginning to fray. Also if you hold them up to the light and look through them you can see how they don't seal closed.
    Hope this helps.
    Doug
    so is it best to buy new oem reeds or a ste of aftermarket pedals?
    i dont wanna buy vf IIIs but can i buy aftermakret pedals for the stock reed cage and run stuffers??

  5. #5
    Moderator DrewNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Marlton, NJ
    Posts
    3,716
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by yz450f View Post
    so is it best to buy new oem reeds or a ste of aftermarket pedals?
    i dont wanna buy vf IIIs but can i buy aftermakret pedals for the stock reed cage and run stuffers??
    In my opinion if you don't want to go with VFIII's then I'd go with stock 1300 reeds with a spacer..
    There are a handful of companies out there that sell aftermarket petals. Personally, I've never been into them.....

  6. #6
    john zigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,545
    +1
    33
    i have a good set, of complete cages, pedals etc from a freshwater 1200r motor with 34hrs, if you need.

    send me an email if i can help out.

  7. #7
    Moderator RX951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    League City, Texas
    Posts
    16,066
    +1
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtinker View Post
    Hi Yall!

    I have just pulled our 99'xlt apart to do some mods and pulled the reeds but not really sure what or how to inspect. I see some burnt areas on the center rack (#2) but this engine was running smoothly b-4... Just want to know more.... Can anybody direct me to the proper thread search?

    Thanks, Ray.
    I've seen where the burnt edges of OEM fiberglass reeds have been caused by "backfire(s)" in the crankcase. I would replace all the petals to be safe and make sure they all seal properly. OEM will be fine for a stock motor

  8. #8
    yz450f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    657
    +1
    6
    i dont need reeds badly at all but i will be checking them soon and installing a stuffers. so i was wondering if anyone knew about aftermarket pedals or should i look for 1300 stuffers with a spacer and stuffers??
    this is for a 800 pv motor by the way.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Reed Valves
    By 785 lugs in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 06:52 PM
  2. V-force reed valve stuffers?!
    By AD4342 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 01:17 PM
  3. broken record, need help with reed valves really quick
    By MJE in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 09:33 AM
  4. V-Force 3 Reed valves
    By freddypr1 in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 02:02 AM
  5. VFORCE3 Reed Valve System, Best Price?
    By Chrisrokc in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 10:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •