Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Spider Cracks top Hull 2003 Supercharged GTX

Hi,

I have the 4tec 2003 supercharged GTX and hull has spider cracks that are growing. It is the left side, top outer (next to bumper) yellow gelcoat next to the footwell. It is approximately in the middle - boat length wise. It does not have anything hitting it nor have marks. I wonder why there are cracks and how long is the seadoo hull warranty? Is it ten years and does it cover? I searched around and I dont see a disclaimer and I forgot the warranty period. Thank you.

picture available down stream in post.
    Last edited by Tampa Florida; 01-30-2009 at 06:41 PM.

+1
    what do you think caused the cracks??
    it isnt uncommon for older skis to have some cracking in the gelcoat, it really depends how severe it is, if its something to worry about or not. if its where i think it is, thats pretty common place to get it, maybe engine wieght and hull flex effects that area the most...

Sea Doo (or BRP) does not cover cracks in the gelcoat. Heck, they wouldn't even cover the gelcoat delamination on the hulls of the RXPs... Ron

+1
    my 03 had them near the pump,didn't affect anything....think their "stress cracks"....you're on your own,BRP won't help you on an 03(imo)

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    You think that they would use some flex paint when painting the ski's. I have a 96xp that i bought on craigslist the front nose had stress cracks all over the place. i took the front bumper off and it looks like someone had hit something in the front. I took a small drill and drilled holes at the end of all of the lines just below the gel coat not through the whole boat and then took a small grinder and made valleys in all of them. Bondo them up and sand and then some spot puddy and paint. You can't even tell they are there anymore. I know this is a drastic measure to do to get rid of the stress cracks. Get insurance on the boats and have a body shop fix them.

Thanks,

I was thinking of supergluing the spider cracks so saltwater doesnt soak the fiberglass and ruin it. This fix is very difficult since it is very hard to blend in the gelcoat at this point in the ski without noticing a fix.

It is between the bumper and the gunwale mat, but right on top. This is positioned right in the middle of the ski.

I am happy if it doesnt break on me or crack the hull and cause the ski to sink.

If the cracks weren't the result of hitting something, they are probably the result of the ski being left out in the sun without a cover. Is the gelcoat faded as well?... Ron

It wasnt because of hitting something and the hull is not faded. Still shiny and looks like new. Only Left outside with a boat cover over it so it had plenty of protection. Before, it had even had a tent over it.

+1
    Those usually are gel coat stress cracks by the way you are describing them. If they are, it is purely cosmetic. Every boat/ski I have owned has developed them. The hull flexes and causes them, no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by skipSC View Post
    Those usually are gel coat stress cracks by the way you are describing them. If they are, it is purely cosmetic. Every boat/ski I have owned has developed them. The hull flexes and causes them, no big deal.

That is good news. I just didnt want a big crack when I am out there and sink the ski. I will just superglue the spider cracks to prevent the water from soaking into the fiberglass.

I had a few skis and had never seen this before. even on an old ski. I guess seadoo has very thick gel coat and this can have cracks. However, I like the build quality of thick gel coats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information