Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

ECU Pros and Cons

Motec

Pros
    programable to your own needs/modifications
    suposedly simple to install
    Could be used for other applications if/when removed from the jetski
    Does not need any aditional parts will work with a stock or modified ski.
    Will log the data that comes from your engine.
    I beleve that motec does updates from time to time.

Cons
    Expensive
    loss of dash functions/cruise control (will be sad so see it go)

Riva/Rd Ecu

Pros
    less expensive (maybe/most likely)
    no loss of dash functions/cruise control (hopefully)

Cons
    Not programable
    May need other parts to work Stage 2 (per riva catalogue) extra $ up front for parts that havnt been released and who knows when stage 1 much less stage 2+ will be released. Hopefully before summer.....

These are just my initial thoughts about the ecu situation. I have been thinking very hard about the Motec ECU. I think that it way be THE way to go. Mostly because of the abillity to change the tune based on what the engine is telling you. When you add a new part you can change the tune to fit you engine now.

I have no prior experience with the riva ecu but I imagine it to be very straight forward if you have all the parts that they suggest you have (Stage 2+). Which may be very expensive (intercooler, injectors, ect.) When from what we have seen is not needed to go fast I think they are running close to 80 on the stock fuel injectors. And they said that they are at 77%. but they are required for the use of the new ECU.

I'm writing this to stir things up a bit I'm kinda bored reading the topics that are on the forum at the moment.

Since riva hasnt released anything new for the SHO in awhile and no one has a clue when the ECU will be out it does look like the MoTec is the way to go if you want an ECU.

But if Rip' is hittin 73.2 without a ECU then I dont see why 75 couldnt be reached without the ECU.

The MoTec is really nice and the only con i see with it would be the price, I dont see the point of no wake and cruise if you want your ski to be an 80+ ski jmo

Hopefull Riva's will be Cheaper but if you do have to run the rest of the riva parts for the ECU to work then it will most likely be much more expensive then just the MoTec.

But what about reprograming the stock ECU hopefully some one will be able to do it and if so then that may just be the least expensive way to go if you dont have a 4yr warrenty

Banned User
    if you dont go motec you will be left behind in the long run, riva design parts/stages just to keep your wallet open.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vehc View Post
    if you dont go motec you will be left behind in the long run, riva design parts/stages just to keep your wallet open.
    . sorry it was late when I tried to read english

Waz

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    How can you say LEFT BEHIND when you have a ECU with endless option in tuning department, RIVA will only give you what they want you to have , any more and you will have to pay their crazy prices.

Try reading the post again...he is saying Motec is the way to go...Riva are scammers...they quote BS with there products....The RXT-X stage two kit has been coming soon for the past year...Clearly they didn't sell enough stage 1 yet...I got my ski going quicker without any of that Shite....

Banned User
    thanks pooche

Baya
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooche View Post
    Try reading the post again...he is saying Motec is the way to go...Riva are scammers...they quote BS with there products....The RXT-X stage two kit has been coming soon for the past year...Clearly they didn't sell enough stage 1 yet...I got my ski going quicker without any of that Shite....

Totally agree with you!!

+1
    What kind of speeds gains with the MoTec?

I have heard 76 and 81 with the motec....but it can be changed based on what other modification you do to your ski...therefore every mod you do from now on you can adjust the ecu for the mod and benefit more from every mod you do...

there is a chart showing hp gains somewhere it is +25 hp to a stock sho but with the additions of the stage 1 kit it is plus 64 hp. The hp increases are more based upon what mods you do because the ecu can be changed for the mod you add....

For instance if you add the supercharger wheel you may gain 10hp but if you have the motec you could gain 20 hp with that same mod because you can change the tune to accomidate the change of the part...

I'm leaning toward motec if you havent noticed.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar71 View Post
    I have heard 76 and 81 with the motec....but it can be changed based on what other modification you do to your ski...therefore every mod you do from now on you can adjust the ecu for the mod and benefit more from every mod you do...

there is a chart showing hp gains somewhere it is +25 hp to a stock sho but with the additions of the stage 1 kit it is plus 64 hp. The hp increases are more based upon what mods you do because the ecu can be changed for the mod you add....

For instance if you add the supercharger wheel you may gain 10hp but if you have the motec you could gain 20 hp with that same mod because you can change the tune to accomidate the change of the part...

I'm leaning toward motec if you havent noticed.....
    Hi Guys
    The small results promo showing all the power gains is on this thread,
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81848
    there is also a bit of other relevant info there relating to the topic.

Fitting a programable aftermarket ECU has long been accepted as the way to enhance the performance of any engine, in the case of the MoTeC the ECU is high quality and powerful but also simple for even the unexperianced to make changes. This is provided the original set up is done by a proffesional.
    In the case of the SHO the set up is pre done with a great start file and a plug in adapter loom.

All the power gains aside thou,the real speed and performance advantages in the future are going to come from the use of data logging.

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information